"Temporary" AGPs + Northern winters. Can they survive?

Poolypool2019

Sep 1, 2019
Nova Scotia
Hi folks. I would like to get a large AGP next year, but haven't decided yet on a more permanent one, or the Intex Ultra/Ultra XTR Temporary type (obviously a better price choice). I am in Eastern Canada, and wondering if these types of pools can survive our winters when left up with so much snow and freezing/thawing/expansion? Anyone here have experiences to share?

Welcome to TFP.

Maybe.

How are you going to leave the pool over the winter? Water in? Cover on?

Freezing/thaw/expansion shouldn’t be an issue if equipment and pipes are properly winterized.

Reactions: Poolypool2019
Welcome to TFP.

Maybe.

How are you going to leave the pool over the winter? Water in? Cover on?

Freezing/thaw/expansion shouldn’t be an issue if equipment and pipes are properly winterized.

I meant more for the sake of the pool's body liner and frame integrity itself. The pump/filter and hoses would come in.

I would leave water in for sure, to not only keep it up but because I wouldn't want to fill it every year, lol. I would either get a large rectangular, or at least 18 foot circular.

Can you buy specific covers for these pools, or just have to get something that size and hope it fits properly?

Can you buy specific covers for these pools, or just have to get something that size and hope it fits properly?

Depends on the pool. Availability of a good winter pool cover may be something you want to consider in selecting the pool.

We did this with a 15ft Intex Ultra one winter (2017/18), after the ones we took down and stored kept coming out of storage with leaks. We drained below the returns, drained and brought in all the equipment/pipes, and covered it with the Intex cover it came with... which blew off roughly a month later. The pool sat uncovered for the rest of the winter, and other than being super dirty, it was just fine in the spring. Another family is using it this year after storing it for a year, and it's still all good.

We did end up draining it and refilling it in the spring just to get it clean, but that was mostly because it seemed like it would be cheaper and easier than brushing/bleach/filtering out the mess. I'm not sure that it was cheaper or easier though. Oops.

Hopefully those with the experience of multiple winters will have some advice too.

• Love
We did this with a 15ft Intex Ultra one winter (2017/18), after the ones we took down and stored kept coming out of storage with leaks. We drained below the returns, drained and brought in all the equipment/pipes, and covered it with the Intex cover it came with... which blew off roughly a month later. The pool sat uncovered for the rest of the winter, and other than being super dirty, it was just fine in the spring. Another family is using it this year after storing it for a year, and it's still all good.

We did end up draining it and refilling it in the spring just to get it clean, but that was mostly because it seemed like it would be cheaper and easier than brushing/bleach/filtering out the mess. I'm not sure that it was cheaper or easier though. Oops.

Hopefully those with the experience of multiple winters will have some advice too.
This is great news. Thanks fellow Northerner!

Reactions: S-Merry
I see alot of people in my area with them, and laugh everytime one of them stops taking it down on year 2 or 3. All gung ho when they get it, but after doing it once or twice decide to roll the dice and see what happens by leaving it up. Probably because they themselves see alot of people leaving theirs up.

I think leaving it up will accelerate the rusting on the frame, just due to being out in moisture all year long. I left mine up in Ohio and already replacing it after two seasons because of Rust. I also suspect I put too much chlorine in it when winterized.

I put a large cover that was supposed to let water pass through but not leaves, and then secured it by "shrink wrapping" the top off the pool rail. That worked well to keep the cover from blowing off. I used a 18"-24" tube of shrink wrap that you can buy at home depot for moving. Before the shrink wrap, the cover would blow in the wind and come un-attached. The cover had a poly coated steel cable with ratchet closer that went through eyelets on the cover, but it was not enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before the shrink wrap, the cover would blow in the wind and come un-attached. The cover had a poly coated steel cable with ratchet closer that went through eyelets on the cover, but it was not enough.

My neighbor had one just like that with the cable and ratchet doohickey. It was a solid tarp but same principle. We weighted it down on the outside with a dozen or so Cinderblocks tied to the cable. I’ll pass along the shrinkwrap idea for this year. Thanks for the tip.

I'm curious, what is the point of draining below the returns? Can you not just plug the holes and remove the plumbling?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.