Temperature Gain

Apr 14, 2016
Waynesboro, PA
In direct sunlight, will a pool gain heat faster with the water circulating or not? Assuming the ambient temperature is higher than the water temperature.

If it's circulating, more water is exchanged with the air... but I'd think it's harder for the sun to have a radiant effect on temperature.

Thoughts on this? :sunny:

Re: Temperature Gain\Loss

Does not really matter. + - 1%
If you want to heat up your pool or keep it warmer use a cover at night and or during the day.
Its evaporation that causes heat loss.

I can loose 4 degrees at night without a cover.

The sun will send a fixed amount of energy to the pool. If the water is circulating, you will have a more uniform water temp. If the water is not circulating, then the surface will be much warmer than the bottom. But as soon as you turn the pump on the water will circulate, and you will the same as if the pool was circulating while the sun was out. This over-simplification leaves out a few weird occurrences, but maybe within 1% this is true, or in other words, you will not notice much of a difference. The only difference you would notice is if you jumped in the water before it got circulated, you would feel a very hot layer, and a cold layer underneath.

The sun will send a fixed amount of energy to the pool. If the water is circulating, you will have a more uniform water temp. If the water is not circulating, then the surface will be much warmer than the bottom. But as soon as you turn the pump on the water will circulate, and you will the same as if the pool was circulating while the sun was out. This over-simplification leaves out a few weird occurrences, but maybe within 1% this is true, or in other words, you will not notice much of a difference. The only difference you would notice is if you jumped in the water before it got circulated, you would feel a very hot layer, and a cold layer underneath.

Thanks Yev! That makes a lot of sense, I've definitely felt the temperature difference you describe. You're probably right that I'm over simplifying the factors in play here. I'd imagine that there is heat gain from the pump as well.

Heat gain from the pump is like saying that your body being in the water swimming will warm the water, since your body temp is greater than the water temp. As a rule, there is no easy heat. If you ever find yourself wondering would this make a difference in water temp, odds are it will not. Unless you are thinking about adding a pool heater.

Fundamentals. Cover the pool at night to prevent heat loss, uncover during the day to allow the sun in. Is that does not get the pool warm enough, add some sort of external heatign device (ie solar, heat pump, propane, natural gas, etc.)

Thanks Yev. I'm good to go with pool temperature, not really looking for a way to heat it at all. Was simply pontificating as to if a pool gains more heat in direct sunlight while circulating or not. The answer could also help in the height of the summer heat when trying to keep the pool a little cooler.... maybe. Thanks again for taking time to answer my post. I'm on a couple of forums for various hobbies, and this forum by far has the best participation and information share.

If you want to keep it a bit cooler, then that is a somewhat easy task, especially for someone in PA. Your biggest heat loss comes from water evaporation, which happens heavily at night (this is why they tell you to use a solar cover at night to help prevent this). But during the day, if you install a fountain in your pool, then the small fine water droplets sent up into the air will evaporate, and take heat with them. You can buy a cheap fountain from Amazon that attaches to your pool returns, thus making it take no extra electricity or special plumbing. You can also make your own from PVC pipe. Search this forum, lots of design ideas on how to do this DIY. Be ware of how it will effect your water chemistry. Agreed that this forum has an amazing level of support. There is almost no question that does not have someone jump in to help, or offer advice from experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.