Temperature Effect???

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
What effect does temperature have on all of this chemistry? Being new to the DIY BBB method and being an environmental engineer, I know that temperature has effects on all types of water chemistry, but I'm not well versed on pool chemistry.

Temperature has all kinds of effects, but very few of them are significant in outdoor pools. The main issues are that chlorine demand is higher at higher temperatures and pump run time needs to be longer at higher temperatures. Oh, and of course temperatures below freezing can be a problem if you haven't winterized properly :)

All the calculators and charts are good from about 50 to 105 degrees, perhaps a little more. At higher temperatures within that range your FC level will tend to fall more quickly. The FC level you are aiming for remains the same at different temperatures as does the amount of bleach needed to change the level by a specific amount.

Temperature changes the PH and has a direct effect on the CSI. The two effects happen to more or less cancel out, the indirect change of the CSI from the PH shift is opposite to the direct effect on the CSI. Unless you are holding the PH steady, relatively unlikely at low temperatures, you don't normally need to worry about it.

There are many small effects like that. Thinking about them can be entertaining for some people, but normally there is no need to know anything about them.

I googled temp effect on CSI and came up with this post. I use Pool Calculator app and
measure both CSI in pool at 68 degrees and hot tab at 102 degrees
Assuming pH at 7.8, TA at 80. Borates and CYA both at 40, CsI changes
from .1 at lower temp to .39 at higher temp

Why?

Thinking about them can be entertaining for some people, but normally there is no need to know anything about them.
Well said, JasonLion. The methods we teach here are intended to simplify pool water management......not make it so complex the average pool owner loses interest.

CSI is a case in point. If you keep the five parameters we test for within the guidelines we suggest, there is virtually NEVER any need to calculate CSI. I am moving this discussion to The Deep End as it is of little interest to the average pool owner and not pertinent to the successful management of your pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.