Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Do I really need more than 1/2 hp? I really try not to put food down my drain so I’m not steady grinding vegetables or anything just what didn’t get scraped off the plates.
Also, what do you have (brand & hp),
how long have you had it,
do you like it/hate it?
These little workhorses aren’t really something you think about much since they are hidden away but when they are inoperable it gets noticeable!
I am slowly rebuilding my home randomly as each really old thing dies. The plan was to replace the water heater next but the disposal had other plans after dinner tonight so Bessy the big belly water heater is gonna have to wait 🤣

I have two Waste-King batch feed garbage disposal’s in my kitchen that are about 10 years old. I don’t know the HP and will not be back there until early March.

Mine is around the noise level of a large table saw. I turned on the one at my sisters house and it was so quiet I didn’t realize it was on.

I’ve never shopped for one but I doubt decibels is one of the published specs.

Do I really need more than 1/2 hp? I really try not to put food down my drain so I’m not steady grinding vegetables or anything just what didn’t get scraped off the plates.
Generally the 1/2HP ones are louder, and made with more economical materials (i.e. plated carbon steel).

I replaced a unit that was ~15 years old, it was a 3/4HP SS, InSinkErator brand (that was what the original one was), about 2 years ago. I replaced it with either a 3/4 or 1HP, full SS unit. My reasoning for going with the larger units is that the materials (SS vs Carbon steel) and insulation is typically much better so the units are quieter. I hate loud appliances. I get it, a disposal is not going to be a super quiet machine, but I also don't want it to sound like a bag of marbles in there either.

FYI - all InSinkErator units, regardless of HP, must be able to pass 12, 1" pine cubes. I saw that on an episode of Ask This Old House (or maybe This Old House) where the plumber, Richard Trethewy went and visited their manufacturing facility. I would expect all brands have a similar test they have to pass.

I have a 1/2HP unit that I have to replace in my rental house. It finally froze up. It is only 6 years old.

Again, I think the larger the HP, the better materials they use, and the quieter the unit. Otherwise, I think they all do a fine job of chewing up the stuff. Might take a little bit longer, and be a little noisier for the smaller units.

--Jeff

Reactions: Mdragger88
Insinkerator brand. Standard size, cheapest model. The ones that advertise as all stainless steel, blah, blah, blah, are overpriced and unnecessary. GD’s don’t last more than about 10 years with light use so don’t waste money on them. Also, you are right not to put food down them. GD’s are one of the biggest sources of clogged drain pipes and many cities have banned their installations. They should be used sparingly and food/oils belong in the solid waste trash can. If you have veggies, get a composting pail and start a compost pile.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I’ve had great luck with Costco. Can’t remember the brand, but they’ve been quieter and cheaper than Home Depot. I think they’re 1-1/4 hp, and we’re less than $100 (although maybe more now, it has been a few years).

Also, this is a better use of a garbage disposal in my opinion -

A friend and I did this one time. Used a 2 gallon cooler and installed it on top of the disposal.

Literally the first question out of everyone's mouth... "You used a new one, right?" :ROFLMAO:

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Generally the 1/2HP ones are louder, and made with more economical materials (i.e. plated carbon steel).

I replaced a unit that was ~15 years old, it was a 3/4HP SS, InSinkErator brand (that was what the original one was), about 2 years ago. I replaced it with either a 3/4 or 1HP, full SS unit. My reasoning for going with the larger units is that the materials (SS vs Carbon steel) and insulation is typically much better so the units are quieter. I hate loud appliances. I get it, a disposal is not going to be a super quiet machine, but I also don't want it to sound like a bag of marbles in there either.

FYI - all InSinkErator units, regardless of HP, must be able to pass 12, 1" pine cubes. I saw that on an episode of Ask This Old House (or maybe This Old House) where the plumber, Richard Trethewy went and visited their manufacturing facility. I would expect all brands have a similar test they have to pass.

I have a 1/2HP unit that I have to replace in my rental house. It finally froze up. It is only 6 years old.

Again, I think the larger the HP, the better materials they use, and the quieter the unit. Otherwise, I think they all do a fine job of chewing up the stuff. Might take a little bit longer, and be a little noisier for the smaller units.

--Jeff
That’s neat about the pine cubes- I probably won’t try that though 🤣

Just make sure that if your dishwasher drains through your garbage disposal unit that you run the discharge line with a high loop under your sink if you don’t have an air gap installed at the top of the sink. You want to make sure the dishwasher line is above the level of the disposal so that waste doesn’t flow down into the dishwasher.

Do you have an air switch or a regular electrical switch for the current disposal?

I really should have replaced it when I replaced my sink & faucet recently but hey, live & learn. At least now I am well versed in removing & replacing it.
With my new sink the garbage disposal was incredibly louder & it rattles the whole sink so I’m hoping for a little bit quieter & less shaky. It’s so old it doesn’t follow the serial number date pattern on the insinkerator website, I know it’s at least 11 years old because that’s how long I have lived here. My dishwasher was from the early 80’s so there’s really no telling!
I was just going to go with the same model because of its longevity until I read the reviews that the guts rust out quickly (just after the short warranty expires) since they are no longer stainless inside.
I have found a couple of other reasonably priced attractive models (moen & American standard) that claim to have insulation/noise suppression, stainless internals & decent warranties. But To my surprise, when I went on the American standard site to investigate further I couldn’t find their disposals at all. I am quite certain they are just rebranded waste kings so I worry I May experience runaround w/ warranty claims as can sometimes occur with rebranded items.
The Moen looks good (if a disposal can lol) & and it’s easily findable on their website listing its 5 year in home warranty. It’s also lighter weight which I think may be a plus - at least for install. The reviews are also good so I pulled the trigger on it for $90 late last night. It should be here Saturday.

Reactions: Newdude
Just make sure that if your dishwasher drains through your garbage disposal unit that you run the discharge line with a high loop under your sink if you don’t have an air gap installed at the top of the sink. You want to make sure the dishwasher line is above the level of the disposal so that waste doesn’t flow down into the dishwasher.

Do you have an air switch or a regular electrical switch for the current disposal?
I have a regular switch- no air gap. My dishwasher hose has the high loop naturally since where it comes into the cabinet is at the top back corner. I have dealt with it multiple times since I replaced the sink & faucet a couple years ago then I replaced the dishwasher last year. I have also recently replaced every switch & receptacle in my house so the disposal replacement will be finishing touch for now. At least until I do the countertops. I would love new cabinets too as they are terrible 70’s pressed board & the configuration is horrendous but that’s really far down on the list of actual needs.

Thanks- we don’t have a costco near here so I am not a member & really hadn’t considered looking there. My hope is to get a smallish unit that isn’t super heavy because my cabinets are tiny & my countertops aren’t very robust. I ordered a moen but I am still fielding backup options for sure! We’ll see if I end up with late night purchase regret 🤣

Mine isn’t that old thank goodness! Now that I think about it, I hope this isn’t going to be considered my anniversary gift 🎁 especially since I’ll be the one installing it!

I wouldn’t be concerned with the claims of “rust” on the internal plate. It’s made of mild carbon steel and it’s intended to form a layer of rust. It has no bearing on the operation of the unit. The cutting blades should be made of stainless steel for longevity. Using stainless steel on the spin plate has no purpose other than to increase cost.

Ask yourself this - how many of your dinner guests grab a flashlight and look down into the disposal to see what kind of steel is used??

My guess would be … very few.

I wouldn’t be concerned with the claims of “rust” on the internal plate. It’s made of mild carbon steel and it’s intended to form a layer of rust. It has no bearing on the operation of the unit. The cutting blades should be made of stainless steel for longevity. Using stainless steel on the spin plate has no purpose other than to increase cost.

Ask yourself this - how many of your dinner guests grab a flashlight and look down into the disposal to see what kind of steel is used??

My guess would be … very few.
I think part of the issue is that once that forms rust pieces of rust begin to break loose so you’re then grinding rusty metal hunks along with everything else & this leads to an early demise as you’re essentially grinding metal in there. The disposal starts disposing of itself 🤣
Many of The reviews/complaints of the insinkerator badger models comparable to mine also showed rust drips all down the outside of the unit & whatever failure occurred led to it leaking all in their cabinet. That’s definitely not something I’m interested in testing out & it made me disappointed that it wasn’t likely the best choice anymore.
I know mine looks nasty & rusty on the inside (that i can see through the hole) - it’s problem is that rust on the plate allowed one of the teeth thingys bolts to break loose so now it sounds like there’s a fork or something in there because it’s flopping around. Hopefully no internal leaking will occur before I can get it replaced.
When I replaced the sink I watched some videos of how to inspect & clean out your disposal/ replace the rubber guard etc- unfortunately I couldn’t get anything loose like the guy on the video so I was only able to clean the outlet (which was disgusting btw 🤮) & had to put it back with the original guard on there.
I had an issue after we 1st moved in with the ptrap which was equally disgusting & had to manually clean it out so I am very careful now to flush both the drains with lots of hot water & enough dawn to break down any grease that may make its way into the plumbing. The smell was horrendous!

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.