Teach me like I’m 5 please

GREAT questions!

YES you will need to test your FC daily with the heavy use. Now if you find you are adding just about the same amount each day after a couple of weeks of testing then you can safely just add what you have been adding each da

You have all of this week to learn how much FC you lose each day and how much chlorine you are adding. I would have your parents add the average FC you have to add each day. Don't make it harder on them with testing. If you really want to "spoil" them have the chlorine add poured out into something so all they have to do and grab the one labeled Friday and pour it in.

Make sure to tell them to NOT have "good" clothes on when they do it as we know they will get polka dots if they do :roll: LOL

I would go ahead and order some more regents for testing LOL

When I went on a short out-of-towner, I left the following for my grandson house sitter . . . I knew how much Cl was needed, so I measured that much into empty containers and labeled. He then dosed each one at the times (more or less) I had given him (wasn't critical to be exact). He just emptied the jug, rinsed with a little extra pool water, capped it back up, and left it for me to recycle. Worked out well for me.

Bleach Dose.jpg

So I tested again after a day of heavy use. And 90 degrees in full sun

My FC is 2.5
CC is 0 (sample didn’t turn pink at all with 5 drops of r0003)

Do I now add chlorine to bump back up to 5 or wait until tomorrow

When I went on a short out-of-towner, I left the following for my grandson house sitter . . . I knew how much Cl was needed, so I measured that much into empty containers and labeled. He then dosed each one at the times (more or less) I had given him (wasn't critical to be exact). He just emptied the jug, rinsed with a little extra pool water, capped it back up, and left it for me to recycle. Worked out well for me.

View attachment 432035
Thank you! I bought four of these bottles today for fri- Monday and I’ll do the same! I didn’t have any empty bottles on hand

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 4
So I tested again after a day of heavy use. And 90 degrees in full sun

My FC is 2.5
CC is 0 (sample didn’t turn pink at all with 5 drops of r0003)

Do I now add chlorine to bump back up to 5 or wait until tomorrow

Your FC level must be kept above the minimum at all times - at 30 CYA that would be 2 PPM FC bare minimum. If it drifts below that you're risking another algae bloom. I would bring it back up to the target FC of 4-6 as soon as you can.

Reactions: Swampthing2829
Bump it up. If the kids left anything behind in the water.........wait who am I kidding because the kids did leave a bit of extra *liquid* in the pool.............it is best to bump it up so it can work on the water without fighting the sun. We do not want you to get green again.

Those bottle are purrfect for the chlorine in waiting! Well done! Make sure to put a BIG X on them and write on this "not for food or liquid".

Reactions: Swampthing2829

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@kimkats
Good morning!

I have my log, and now need help figuring out how much bleach to add to each bottle for my parents to dump in while I’m away! These are recorded in my pool math log too. The goal with FC was to bump to 5 each time.

Monday 7 am:
FC 1.2
Cc 0.4
pH 7.4
TA 100
CH 20
CYA less than 30 (assumed 20)
-added 41 oz 7.5 % bleach, 8.8 oz dry stabilizer

Monday 5:30 pm (after a day of full sun and heavy use)
FC 2.5
Cc 0
-added 27 oz of 7.5% bleach

Tuesday 6:15 am
FC 4
Cc 0.5
Cya 30
-added 11 oz 7.5% bleach

Tuesday 6:40 pm (after a day of light/moderate rain on and off, overcast and light use)
FC 3
Cc 0
- added 22 oz 7.5% bleach

Wednesday 630 am
FC 4.5
Cc 0.5
-added 5.4 oz 7.5% bleach

Wednesday 7 pm (after a day of full sun, light morning rain, extra heavy use)
FC 1.5
Cc 0
- added 38 oz 7.5% bleach

This morning (Thursday 7 am)
FC 4.5
Cc 0.5
Ph 7.0
TA 90
Ch 20
Cya less than 30 (assumed 15-20, could still faintly see dot with a quick glance to the top of the vial)
- added 5.4 oz 7.5% bleach, 47 oz borax mule to raise ph, 8.8 oz dry stabilizer

Well done!!!

In looking at the PM levels and how much you have added each day I say we will average it a bit on the high side and do 30oz for each addition. It is safe to swim up to your SLAM level of FC/CYA as seen in this chart: FC/CYA Levels so if it is a bit higher than you have been running it there are no worries about swimming or it going too low and risking an algae outbreak.

When you get back we will look at your logs again. to make sure it does not go lower that your minimum FC for your CYA.

Have fun and tell the kids to do LOTS of cannon balls to help get the pH up LOL

Kim:kim:

Reactions: ghall6292
Well done!!!

In looking at the PM levels and how much you have added each day I say we will average it a bit on the high side and do 30oz for each addition. It is safe to swim up to your SLAM level of FC/CYA as seen in this chart: FC/CYA Levels so if it is a bit higher than you have been running it there are no worries about swimming or it going too low and risking an algae outbreak.

When you get back we will look at your logs again. to make sure it does not go lower that your minimum FC for your CYA.

Have fun and tell the kids to do LOTS of cannon balls to help get the pH up LOL

Kim:kim:
So 30 oz per day- should they add it in the morning or evening?

So 30 oz per day- should they add it in the morning or evening?
30 is less than I’m adding a day- is that ok though? I added an average of about 40 oz every 24 hours with a quick glance of the numbers. Or 30 2X a day for a total of 60? Can they do one addition of 60 oz vs two of 30? (They’re elderly and have 5 kids to attend to as well)

OH I did miss you were adding some in the morning! GOOD CATCH!!! Lets bump it up to 45 oz each time to be on the extra safe side since it will only be once a day.

Evening so it can work on the water overnight without the sun taking any FC with it. Make sure to tell them to NOT wear good clothes.

OH I did miss you were adding some in the morning! GOOD CATCH!!! Lets bump it up to 45 oz each time to be on the extra safe side since it will only be once a day.

Evening so it can work on the water overnight without the sun taking any FC with it. Make sure to tell them to NOT wear good clothes.
Thank you!

What will be interesting to see how the pool acts with once a day additions. That would make your life easier!
I agree! This isn’t sustainable. We’re going away for ten days in September, I’ll have to figure out if it’s best to just close Labor Day weekend at that point even if normally we’d be open until oct 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.