Taylor Technologies

Hey Chris! Glad you said hello. I've seen some of your posts over the years. I grew up 10 minutes from Sparks and am not far away now.

I am Chris Golden, the Director of Sales for Taylor Technologies. I've been testing and treating waters since 1989. I've been with Taylor since 2007, Please let me know if I could help in any way. Be well!
Most everyone on here uses Taylor supplies. Maybe provide a coupon or something to the owners ( @Leebo ) of the site for raffle type stuffs?

PS Hola! :)

I am Chris Golden, the Director of Sales for Taylor Technologies. I've been testing and treating waters since 1989. I've been with Taylor since 2007, Please let me know if I could help in any way. Be well!

@taylortechnologies I recently got my Taylor K2006c kit in the mail from Amazon, and the kit smells VERY STRONG, a very harsh chemical smell.... It immediately stunk up my entire great room. I don't see any leaks or anything noticeably wrong in the kit...

Is it normal for the kit to put off such a strong smell?

@taylortechnologies I recently got my Taylor K2006c kit in the mail from Amazon, and the kit smells VERY STRONG, a very harsh chemical smell.... It immediately stunk up my entire great room. I don't see any leaks or anything noticeably wrong in the kit...

Is it normal for the kit to put off such a strong smell?

Same for me. It's a great kit, but when it arrived it had a bad chemical smell. I put it in the garage, but even the instruction book had a strong chemical smell so I couldn't even bring it inside. Maybe something spilled during shipping? I didn't see any leaks and eventually the smell went away. Is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
@taylortechnologies - great to know you are the forum
Most all use your products especially the speedstirrer and sample sizer are very useful.
Also like how you package your test kits.
I know that reps from Stenner Pumps are on the forum and they have been very helpful in guiding participants on equipment selection and help.
Hope you can help others in the testing arena - for example - most everyone in the beginning has issues with the CYA test. There are many references to the TT website to show the images of how to read CYA in the tube. That has been very helpful.
Look forward to your guidance on tests and other new technologies that Taylor will bring to the pool industry and to pool owners.

Same for me. It's a great kit, but when it arrived it had a bad chemical smell. I put it in the garage, but even the instruction book had a strong chemical smell so I couldn't even bring it inside. Maybe something spilled during shipping? I didn't see any leaks and eventually the smell went away. Is that normal?

How long did it take for the smell to go away?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long did it take for the smell to go away?
Maybe 2 weeks. I think R-0870 DPD reagent might be the source of the smell. It's dry and not sealed tightly like everything else.

You should store the kit in a cool, dry place. I bought my kit on Amazon, so I'm not sure where it's been before it got to me.

The R-0870 has virtually no odor. If it unfortunately gets damp, it will turn black but still has no odor. Did you check the fluid level of all your chemistry? It sounds like something has leaked out and then evaporated. That said, in years of handling all the chemistry, I never noticed any significant odor from ANY of it

The R-0870 has virtually no odor. If it unfortunately gets damp, it will turn black but still has no odor. Did you check the fluid level of all your chemistry? It sounds like something has leaked out and then evaporated. That said, in years of handling all the chemistry, I never noticed any significant odor from ANY of it
You're right. I can't detect any odor from the R-0870. All bottles were full so it doesn't look like any fluid leaked.

That's a real mystery. I have dealt hands on with that chemistry in the kit for somewhere around 10 years and I can not remember ANY of the chemistry giving off any odor. Could the kit have been contaminated by something else?
Good to know. I just assumed it was normal. Maybe contaminated by something else - both @nikolausp and I bought the kit on Amazon, so maybe it was stored near some other chemicals or they had a spill?

That's why we don't recomment you buy test kits from Amazon. You have no idea about the age, storage and handling of the chemicals. It is a roll of the dice if what you get is good or not.

It’s a phenolic smell caused by the R-0004 phenol red. Phenol, and phenolic compounds, have incredibly low odor thresholds and cause a very sharp, chemical odor that can only be described as ..... phenol-like. It’s such a common odor in chemistry that the odor description “phenolic” is used quite commonly among chemists. Phenol compounds can easily permeate plastics and then outgas an odor over time.

Make sure your R-0004 bottle is tightly closed and nothing has spilled. Make sure all of your cylinders and equipment are cleaned and dry after use. You can take the regents out of the box and put the opened empty box outside in the sunshine for a few hours. That should greatly reduce the odor. Keep the reagents indoor in a cool dry space while you wait for the box to degas.

It’s a phenolic smell caused by the R-0004 phenol red. Phenol, and phenolic compounds, have incredibly low odor thresholds and cause a very sharp, chemical odor that can only be described as ..... phenol-like. It’s such a common odor in chemistry that the odor description “phenolic” is used quite commonly among chemists. Phenol compounds can easily permeate plastics and then outgas an odor over time.

Make sure your R-0004 bottle is tightly closed and nothing has spilled. Make sure all of your cylinders and equipment are cleaned and dry after use. You can take the regents out of the box and put the opened empty box outside in the sunshine for a few hours. That should greatly reduce the odor. Keep the reagents indoor in a cool dry space while you wait for the box to degas.
You might be right.- for me 0004 smells like play-doh in small amounts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support