Taylor CYA Test

There is not.
There are standard solutions available so you can see what a result should look like. See TFTestkits.net.

I hate to say this but I may have to use test strips.
Ah yes, nothing the least bit subjective about those. :rolleyes:

Test strips have shown completely false readings. They are neither accurate nor precise. The Taylor test may not be precise, but it is accurate. Don't waste your time on such cheap and useless stuff.

After you’ve mixed your pool water with the solution, shake it up then go outside, back to the sun, and pour to first line in tube. Glance quickly down into tube, don’t stare. If a glance still leaves for visible, full to next line, glance again, and so on. When dot is barely visible at a glance, you can call it there or go up one more line.

If you give the tube more than a passing glance, you are going to see the dot because you know it is there.

Reactions: gorji
I hate to say this but I may have to use test strips.
That just flies in the face of the things we try to teach at TFP. CYA is a difficult test for sure but it is doable and dependable for those willing to understand it.

Reverting to strips? Might as well drive a steam powered car!

A primary tenet of TFP is you can do anything you like to your pool. But it is our responsibility to comment on your methods when they make no sense.

Last edited:
That just flies in the face of the things we try to teach at TFP. CYA is a difficult test for sure but it is doable and dependable for those willing to understand it.

Reverting to strips? Might as well drive a steam powered car!

A primary tenet of TFP is you can do anything you like to your pool. But it is our responsibility to comment on your methods when they make no sense.
I have been using the TFP methods since I got my pool 11 years ago. The CYA test is difficult for me to interpret.
My comment regarding the strips was not really a serious comment. I was looking for an alternative. The test is easy to perform but interpreting when the black dot disappears is difficult for me. Glancing at it as described above is helpful as well as many of the other comments.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.