Target Up and Up Bleach...with Fabric Protection?

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
Hey guys i typically buy all my bleach at Target--the house brand Up & Up.

When i went to buy it last week, it looks like their base concentrated bleach now has a different label.

It says "Concentrated Bleach with Fabric Protection"

I'm not sure if anything change or not, but I wonder if I can still use this for my pool?

Pass on it. Unfortunately a lot of companies are following Clorox's lead and adding stuff to their bleach to supposedly help fabric. You don't really want these polymers in your pool, we have heard some bad experiences and Clorox itself has stated not to use it.

If you can't find plain bleach with a listed strength (if not listed assume it is very weak) then it is a good time to look around for sources of liquid chlorine, which will be 10-12.5% and free of additives.

:(I visited my local Target a few days ago and noticed that the concentrated bleach not only now has "Fabric Protection" (which almost certainly means added ingredients) but also no longer specifies the concentration. So it my have gone down to 6%, as other brands have. But it's impossible to find the answer to either of these questions, because the new bottle also eliminates the ingredients list that was on the old one. I tried to search for an ingredients list online, but instead got target.com, which showed the old concentrated bleach -- 8.25% bleach, 91.75% water, no other ingredients -- for sale at $2.95 per 121-oz bottle with free two-day delivery. So I ordered 20 bottles. They arrived today, and when I went to open them I found that they had sent the new "Fabric Protection" product, not the product I ordered. So I went back to target.com, followed the menu for problems with online purchases, checked "Wrong Item", and was told to call their 800 number. After several electronic messages that warned of unusually high call volume and tried to point me back toward the web site, I spoke with a guy who seemed to be at an overseas call center and neither knew much nor cared much about bleach. He finally did some research and figured out that these really were two different products and that the old one is "temporarily out of stock." So he told me I can get my money back by returning the 20 bottles to my local Target store. :(

Not sure if you have Publix up there, but their brand of bleach has no additives and is 8.25%

:(I visited my local Target a few days ago and noticed that the concentrated bleach not only now has "Fabric Protection" (which almost certainly means added ingredients) but also no longer specifies the concentration. So it my have gone down to 6%, as other brands have. But it's impossible to find the answer to either of these questions, because the new bottle also eliminates the ingredients list that was on the old one. I tried to search for an ingredients list online, but instead got target.com, which showed the old concentrated bleach -- 8.25% bleach, 91.75% water, no other ingredients -- for sale at $2.95 per 121-oz bottle with free two-day delivery. So I ordered 20 bottles. They arrived today, and when I went to open them I found that they had sent the new "Fabric Protection" product, not the product I ordered. So I went back to target.com, followed the menu for problems with online purchases, checked "Wrong Item", and was told to call their 800 number. After several electronic messages that warned of unusually high call volume and tried to point me back toward the web site, I spoke with a guy who seemed to be at an overseas call center and neither knew much nor cared much about bleach. He finally did some research and figured out that these really were two different products and that the old one is "temporarily out of stock." So he told me I can get my money back by returning the 20 bottles to my local Target store. :(

I would love to see the faces of the employees when you bring in 20 bottles of bleach into the store to return. They'd probably be thinking it didn't take as much as you expected to clean up your bloody crime scene, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would love to see the faces of the employees when you bring in 20 bottles of bleach into the store to return. They'd probably be thinking it didn't take as much as you expected to clean up your bloody crime scene, lol.

:( The telephone representative couldn't understand why I didn't want fabric protection. This was only one of several key things he didn't understand, but it occurred to me later that maybe he just thought I had a lot of laundry to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.