Target ph or CYA first

I noticed bit of algae coming back today on stair case and little inside the pool with FC of 8.5 ppm, So, I am planning to add back bleach until i really see the bottom, both at near and far end.

I guess my CC should be 0 for a week and under SLAM to justify myself it's done.

CYA - 35, pH - 7.2 CC - 0.5
The SLAM article is VERY specific about the factors required to be finished. Follow the SLAM article to the letter......you are NOT done,

Today I checked CYA and it increased from 31 to 40. I did add 1.5 inch of water today as I loose roughly half inch each day, and two pucks on Sunday thinking that will help clear up cloudy water.

What could have caused such an increase in CYA?

Yesterday's Reading - FC - 15 CC 0.5 pH - 7.4 TA -70
Today's Readings - FC- 10.5 CC - 1.0, pH - 7.2, TA - 60, CYA - 40

Today I checked CYA and it increased from 31 to 40
31 and 40 are exactly the same for TFP purposes.
If CYA measures over 30 and 40 or less, your CYA is 40. Don't try to read between the lines on the test tubes.
For CYA, always round up.

The pH test is invalid anytime the FC is above 10.

Reactions: hirenkg
Calculate how much MA needed to bring your pH to 7.2, add that and then wait for the ph to rise again to 7.8 -then repeat that again, and keep doing that cycle until your TA is at most 100
Pool Water is starting to get clear. Though I feel it will be still few days to see the deep end. I see the mention about pH to bring up to 7.2

My current pH is 7.7, does that mean i should try to lower pH to 7.2. I may have to use pH down, as I still have lot of it left.

Pool Water is starting to get clear. Though I feel it will be still few days to see the deep end. I see the mention about pH to bring up to 7.2

My current pH is 7.7, does that mean i should try to lower pH to 7.2. I may have to use pH down, as I still have lot of it left.
No that advice was because your first post said your TA was 200. But throughout the thread it appears it was actually lower or you successfully lowered it? So if your alkalinity is actually around 60-80 right now, you’re fine and your pH is fine and you don’t need to lower it. No need to bring it down.

BUT … if your water is “starting to get clear” but you still can’t see the deep end, it means you’re not done with the SLAM. You really need to maintain slam levels every day until you are perfectly clear. While you are at slam levels any test for pH is unreliable. Get the water perfectly clear and then let the chlorine settle to the target range for your CYA level, and then retest your pH for an accurate reading. If it is between 7.4 and 8.0 your fine, and your lower alkalinity level of 60-80 will help it to fluctuate (rise) less often.

Now I have passed all the three criteria's and able to visibly see the deep end. :smile:

CYA - 25, CC - 0.5, FC - 9

Please recommend a pool robot as my 6 year old Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus robots stops after running for half hour. Not sure if that's okay. I guess will need to get a new one. Any recommendations would be appreciated

Also, What should be my ideal CYA, pH and Alkalinity be , especially as i am planning to go on vacation for two week in mid June. I will have service guy come once for maintenance, and plan to add pucks/powdered shocks.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 12.13.50 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-29 at 12.13.50 PM.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
able to visibly see the deep end
The water needs to be better than just seeing the deep end. Is the water crystal clear? If not, maintain the SLAM.

Here's the clarity you should see:

What should be my ideal CYA, pH and Alkalinity be

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support