Tanning ledge in vinyl pool

sbigott

Jun 2, 2019
saint Louis, mo
We met with a pool builder today and he is completely against putting a tanning ledge in a vinyl pool. However, that is what I had my heart set on. My friend's pool has this, and it's beautiful. The builder's argument was that ledges in vinyl pools can be slippery, you can see the seams, and they can puncture easily. He recommended staying away. I hate the look of white plastic steps, and now I don't know if I can do a liner pool. Do any of you have a liner pool with a tanning ledge? can you give me some information please; pros and cons? Thanks.

I just built a liner pool with a tanning, but have not had must time to see if it is slippery yet. Just my observations below.
1. Would not be more slippery than any other part of a pool.
2. No seams on the flat part in mine as they wrap around the edge and are not noticeable.
3. I don't think it would puncture any easier than any other part of the pool.

Reactions: sbigott
My vinyl pool is being built now and I have a tanning ledge/sundeck. My pb puts textured liner on deck and regular in pool. But if your heart is set on a sundeck and you havent signed yet, then maybe look elsewhere. Good luck figuring this out.

Well I know in my case for a tanning ledge I would like to be able to put lounge/tanning chairs on it without the worry of punctures. So would a vinyl ledge be durable enough or maybe I'm thinking about adding fiberglass tanning ledge to a vinyl lined pool.

Last edited:
Well I know in my case for a tanning ledge I would like to be able to put lounge/tanning chairs on it without the worry of punctures. So would a vinyl ledge be durable enough or maybe I'm thinking about adding fiberglass tanning ledge to a vinyl lined pool.
Ah yeah I can’t comment on that, but I could see punctures being an issue.

My PB took one look at my 2 bloodhounds and said no way should we get vinyl stairs. So we went acrylic. Friends down the road had a much smaller basset hound that made a dozen holes on their vinyl stairs a year later. We particularly dislike our stairs but it was the best decision. I imaging putting a chair with a grown up in it would be even worse for vinyl. At the very least if you decide to go that route, i would make booties for the chairs using a washcloth and lots of gorrila tape on each leg.

So maybe something like in pics. Where you buy a fiberglass tanning ledge and add it to vinyl liner pool?

Attachments

• inground-vinyl-liner-pool-with-raised-fiberglass-tanning-ledge-1.jpg
    inground-vinyl-liner-pool-with-raised-fiberglass-tanning-ledge-1.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20190715-093459_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190715-093459_Chrome.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 81
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.