Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Greetings, all. It's been some time since I have posted on any forum, mostly because my pool has been "trouble-free" thanks to this website. I am now dealing with the hot tub at my vacation home in PA, where I am isolated due to the virus. My usual service guys are prevented from working due to lockdown orders in my part of the state, so it's up to me. I am experienced with pools, but a total novice with hot tubs. I have read some basic stuff on an old sticky thread and think I have enough information to get started, but would like to be more comfortable.

First question: chlorine or bromine? Advantages? Downsides?

Second question: Tub is clear, but has not been sanitized in over a month. Next step? (Test kit on order from TFT).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. No ozonator. Cool with balance and shock. Probably go with bromine to account for times when house in unoccupied (although I do not anticipate leaving here before the end of the summer).

Reactions: RDspaguy
I doubt you need to purge, but it won't hurt. Messy and requires a water change.
Is there any buildup in the filter(s)? Do you know what was being used in it before? Is there a feeder or floater? How much has it been being used without maintenance?

I am not one to throw chemicals, money, time, and effort into a spa because it might be a good idea. Purging is fine when needed, but there are no indications that it is needed. One month of disuse is no reason to believe there is biofilm in the spa. If there are some indications that it needs a purge, fine. But so far there are not.

No film or indication of any contamination. Looks crystal clear. Has not been used, so I will balance and shock and take over th maintenance while I am here. Sorry for my spa guys to lose the business, but since I am at the house for the duration I really should be doing it myself. Thanks all and stay safe, healthy and keep positive.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Frankly, someone coming by once a week cannot hope to do as good a job as you, being there when you use it. Which is when it needs treatment. Call them up when you again need them to maintain your unused spa because you are not there to do it yourself.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yes, that will be the plan. It is covered and locked while we are not here. Plan is to be here through the pandemic scare and then alternating weeks. We have never really had any trouble with the tub, so I'm not overly concerned. Now I just need to replace the liner in my pool and I'm set :cautious:. Cheers.

Reactions: RDspaguy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.