Taking down pool to re level

Chiefdan360

May 14, 2020
Whitestone, NY
Hey everyone so I installed an intel 14x42 above ground pool Sunday and since then I had water running in it but unfortunately I noticed that one side was off level by 3”. I did so much research through out the forums and even considered the idea to jack the pool up and put pavers beneath the legs but decided that since it’s not even summer yet let me take it down and try to re level.

now my question is when I do take the pool down to re level. Should I try to take the sand from the higher side and spread it to the low side? I have a 2x4 and a 48” leveling device this time to help me try to get it as level as possible. But I’m just wondering how people go about re leveling? Thank you

Okay so I understand what your saying. But from what I’m reading in that link is to not add dirt or soil to the low spot.

just to clarify what you mean is to basically dig the soil down so that it matches the lowest spot. But in order to do that do I have to get rid of that sand that is on top or just push it to the side?

Last edited:
Are you asking about sand under the pool bottom or under the legs of the pool?

Pool legs need to be placed on blocks on undisturbed ground. You cannot easily build ground up to hold the weight of a pool. Dig all the high leg points down to be level with the lowest.

Last edited:
I’m in the middle of preparing my yard for a pool. I have been using a “water level” to get my pavers level. It’s basically a vinyl hose with water in it that’s been fixed to two objects. You set it on something that you know is level and mark the hose where the water level is. Then move it to what you’re leveling. Put one of the ends on the part you want to level everything to. Then the other end will move around and you’ll see if the water line is above or below your mark and you can adjust accordingly. I added red food coloring to the water and used jack stands to tape the hose to.

Attachments

• A8D6469C-68E8-431E-82D9-2E7114C6A238.jpeg
    A8D6469C-68E8-431E-82D9-2E7114C6A238.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: sammckin
There is a large number of us members that put up a pool, it wasn't totally level, found this site, and then accepted the sad fact the pool needed to be taken down and then re-leveled. Welcome to the club :) I did try the lifting with a jack at one point, but ended up taking it down at the end of the season and redoing the leveling. Then I moved the pool to a new area of the yard, leveled those blocks using a handy water level I made, it was all pretty. But 10 years of drought followed by the wettest year in history, turned my hard clay ground into a soupy sinking mess, one leg, paver and all, sunk about 2" into the ground. So sometimes you can do everything right and nature just jacks you up!

Haha glad to be part of the club :cool:. I want to thank everybody I was able to level the ground out as much as possible, put the pool back up today and it looks much better then before. One final question I want to ask is if it is necessary to put a ratchet strap at the bottom of the pool to keep the legs in place since my pool came with no rope and there were no sleeves

E8D71ECA-53D5-4C4A-9089-BE8907E03575.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Haha glad to be part of the club :cool:. I want to thank everybody I was able to level the ground out as much as possible, put the pool back up today and it looks much better then before. One final question I want to ask is if it is necessary to put a ratchet strap at the bottom of the pool to keep the legs in place since my pool came with no rope and there were no sleeves

View attachment 139947
Not sure about a strap but the pool looks good!

Sorry to hijack the thread and I'll happily start a new one if the mods feel it's necessary but it's on the same wavelength.

Would it be acceptable to place only a few legs on blocks for the area that may be a little lower? Would this cause stress on the legs and railings and potentially the liner?

Would it be acceptable to place only a few legs on blocks for the area that may be a little lower? Would this cause stress on the legs and railings and potentially the liner?

Every leg should be on a block to spread the weight. If you sure suggesting putting some legs on dirt and others on blocks, no.

That is what I was suggesting. To help level off the lower side of the pool. Glad I asked.

I don't have much of an issue with the posts sinking into the soil so I never felt the need to put the posts on blocks. I cannot fathom how the level is off though.

Thank you for the response @ajw22

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.