Tablet Chlorinator

Rick T

Apr 28, 2019
Houston, TX
Earlier this spring I switched to an automated liquid chlorine system. My original table chlorinator is still in place as well. I also had a few gunite repairs that caused me to drain most/all of my pool. My CYA after the refill was close to 0. I used tablets to get the CYA level up then switched to liquid. My CYA is still on the low side (35-ish). I am using tablets to raise the level. I've noticed that the tablets are not dissolving very fast. Has anyone ever had a chlor

IMG_9038.jpg IMG_9037.jpg

What rpm are you running the VS pump? A tablet chlorinator needs a much higher rate of flow to provide the erosion needed.

I run it at 2700 rpm. Been doing that for a year or so. I can manually close a valve that goes to the chlorinator, take the chlorinator cap off, reopen the valve for a few seconds, see that the chlorinator fills up, turn the valve off, and see the water inside the chlorinator recedes. The same 5 tablets have been in there for 3 weeks now and are still mostly intact.

I use liquid chlorine also. The Rainbow chlorinator sits idle all the time. When I need to increase CYA, I just put some tabs in a floater and the floater in the spa. Keeping it in the spa keeps it from drifting to a skimmer and over chlorinating there. The spa overflow gets the chlorine to the rest of the pool. I run my pump too slowly to use the inline chlorinator, and besides I'm not totally confident in the backflow preventer keeping superchlorinated water out of the heater. Like you, I just use the tabs until I reach my target CYA of 40. Then I store the floater on the side of the house under a bucket.

BTW, my Pentair pump uses 1500w at 2900rpm (I don't have a 2700 rpm reading to give you) and 260w at 1650 rpm, where I normally run it for 10 hours from 1am to 11am, then again from 2 to 4 pm. FWIW.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.