TA60 - multiport replacement

Tiger275

Gold Supporter
Apr 12, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Continuing on my journey to keep my pool running until I have a chance to do the full pad remodel....it seems my T60 multiport has bit the dust.

Has anyone had any success upgrading the multi-port valve on a Tagelus TA-60 from the standard 1.5" to 2" inlets? The standard part (262506 - typically around $95) is 1.5" and there appears to be a nearly identical part (262525 - around $200) with 2". Unfortunately, the skeptic in me says that this would be too easy and that there must be something different about these (neck diameter? flange size? inlet/outlet for the piping/lateral assembly, etc). This parts list from the Pentair site shows both part numbers and even distinguishes that the 262525 should work.

But it seems that many of the more typical parts websites (inyopools, sunplay, poolzoom, poolsupplywarehouse, etc) don't even mention this option in their diagrams or parts lists. As an example this diagram shows both 1.5 and 2" options but the part number for the 2" (261185) seems to be the 2" multiport for a TA100. It seems to have a 8.3" diameter vs the 6.5" of the TA60. So it implies it is possible...but offers a part that doesn't work. And there is no mention of the 262525 on the diagram.

And just to make things 100x more confusing...I have stumbled across what seems to be an alternate part number for the 262525 which is a "Pentair HiFlow Multiport Valve" (263085). It appears to be a 2" valve that is supposed to work with the TA-60. It almost appears that this is just a part number for the same valve..without unions included in the kit.

So, my net/net question is...has anyone successfully done this and if so, with which part?

On a related note, - Does it make a huge difference for pressure, flow, etc if the filter inlet/outlet is 1.5" when all the other piping is 2"? Should I even consider this upgrade or am I making a change that will effectively have no impact (except and extra $100 out of my wallet for the price difference)?

You can only flow as much as your smallest pipe. If your filter is 1.5" then it doesn't help to get 2" plumbing. That said, if you are upgrading and at some point will go to a 2" filter, it makes sense to size everything now for what you will be doing later.

You can only flow as much as your smallest pipe. If your filter is 1.5" then it doesn't help to get 2" plumbing. That said, if you are upgrading and at some point will go to a 2" filter, it makes sense to size everything now for what you will be doing later.
You are spot on to the goal of my question. As I am replacing parts and preparing for the eventual rework of the whole pad, I am trying to use 2" input/output on everything. Since it appears that they make an optional multiport valve that is 2", I am wondering if that will accomplish the goal for the filter without having to actually replace the entire filter body, etc.

My goal is to have everything from the 2" pipe onto the pad -> pump -> filter -> heater/hp -> swg -> to the 2" return using 2" ports and pipes.

But perhaps you are saying something more subtle that I am overlooking. Are you saying that something inside the filter (besides the multi-port) is a limiting/constricting element?

If the filter input and output are 1 1/2", I don't see how you are going to change that. I was assuming since your multiport is 1 1/2" that your filter also has 1 1/2" input/outputs since they usually match the multiport to the filter. That is usually the restriction point in the filter. Also if you are replacing your filter too I would suggest you go with a cartridge filter. I have used both and much prefer the ease of maintenance of the cartridge. In addition, cartridge filters do not require a multiport valve.

Perhaps an alternate way to ask the same question....

If I wanted to convert TA 60D 1.5" (145241) into a TA 60 2" (145385), besides the new MPV, what else would I need to change? I assume the piping assembly might need to be replaced with 2" (part 152237???) but what else?

Like I asked in the original post, just wondering if anyone has done the conversion? I assume before too long? it will just be cheaper to buy a new filter vs. replacing too many parts.

Ah ok I think I see now I just looked up that filter. It is an all in one with the multiport on the top. Sorry I have no idea what the internals of this filter look like. But they do have piping inside that may match what is outside. Crack it open!

cool. Sorry i wasn't clear.

In theory, because I have a TA60, I have 3 choices and I am just trying to understand them before settling on a path forward.
  1. Keep the 1.5" MPV setup I currently have (although I have to replace the MPV either way because it is broken) and it will be the bottleneck on my pad. But how much of a bottleneck does it really constitute? - around a $150-200 option
  2. Upgrade the MPV (and perhaps a few other parts) from 1.5 to 2" - at least a $150-200 option for the MPV + any other parts needed
  3. Replace the current TA60 filter with a new filter with 2" ports (would likely consider the TA100 for a 50% increase in surface but honestly, that becomes a new thread and could be a $500-???? option o_O )

cool. Sorry i wasn't clear.

In theory, because I have a TA60, I have 3 choices and I am just trying to understand them before settling on a path forward.
  1. Keep the 1.5" MPV setup I currently have (although I have to replace the MPV either way because it is broken) and it will be the bottleneck on my pad. But how much of a bottleneck does it really constitute? - around a $150-200 option
  2. Upgrade the MPV (and perhaps a few other parts) from 1.5 to 2" - at least a $150-200 option for the MPV + any other parts needed
  3. Replace the current TA60 filter with a new filter with 2" ports (would likely consider the TA100 for a 50% increase in surface but honestly, that becomes a new thread and could be a $500-???? option o_O )

My advice is replace the filter with a cartridge style filter. Problem solved!

Can't speak to the Tagalus filters but the Hayward internals are 1.5" regardless of the MPV size (1.5" or 2"). While the 1.5" internal feed pipe would add a little head to the system, a complete replumb with 2" plumbing and equipment and a 2" valve would reduce the total equipment head.

Can't speak to the Tagalus filters but the Hayward internals are 1.5" regardless of the MPV size (1.5" or 2").
Interesting. I just assumed that when a filter was advertised as 1.5 - then the MPV and all internals supported that. And 2 - then all internals supported that...etc.. Wonder why Pentair (or others) would make a 1.5 and a 2 version of many of their MPV if they aren't really a "step up".

At least in this case, it appears that you can get larger parts on the internals as well.

Back to/continue on the research..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After some additional research, it looks like you could change the MPV ($150) and the piping assembly ($80) to convert from 1.5 to 2'. Not 100% sure what you would have to do with the laterals. But for about $250 it seems like it could work.

I'm guessing it is not a common practice though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.