TA of 280! Newbie problems......

On way to Costco right now. I will follow SLAM instructions and get-er-dun...
You have all been very helpful. Thank you, thank you.
Husband is going, "Let's get a pool, it'll be fun!" He is using a singsong type voice. I don't think he means those words. Ahahaha!
The learning curve is steep at the beginning, and then it goes flat. In less than a month, your testing will just confirm what you already know you'll see. Less than five minutes a day to deal with the chemistry. An hour or so a week to brush and vacuum. And the water will be so clear and sparkly you will be the envy of all who see it. The hardest part will be stifling the laughter when you hear other pool owner's crab about how hard it is and how much it costs and how their pool hasn;t been clear all summer long.

The hardest part will be stifling the laughter when you hear other pool owner's crab about how hard it is and how much it costs and how their pool hasn;t been clear all summer long.

And it'll be really difficult explaining to guests how yes, the pool does have chlorine, and yes, you do take care of the pool all by yourself.

Slamming now.
I'm so excited to be able to swim with my daughter without my skin falliing off!

- - - Updated - - -

The learning curve is steep at the beginning, and then it goes flat. In less than a month, your testing will just confirm what you already know you'll see. Less than five minutes a day to deal with the chemistry. An hour or so a week to brush and vacuum. And the water will be so clear and sparkly you will be the envy of all who see it. The hardest part will be stifling the laughter when you hear other pool owner's crab about how hard it is and how much it costs and how their pool hasn;t been clear all summer long.

I literally do not know how people got ANYTHING accomplished without internet forums. Thank you.

Wow. Slammimg is taking a while. I have been keeping FC at 16....but my CC never once has dropped below 1 so far. Is that weird?
I check the levels at 10p and then get up at 6 for the last two days.
Yesterday morning FC was 1.5
This morning FC was 3.4.
I am wondering how long this will go on? I have used a LOT OF BLEACH since 7p on Sunday when I started.
Encouragement please?

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify....I check my levels all day long, but wanted to report my overnight levels since that is the longest interval between checking.

3.4?
What size sample of water for testing are you using?
"taking a while" ....2 days is not that long...
Sunlight destroys CCs as well - is the pool covered? Have you had a lot of rain? Where are you located?
Hang in there... You will be swimming in no time. Have some POP.

3.4?
What size sample of water for testing are you using?
"taking a while" ....2 days is not that long...
Sunlight destroys CCs as well - is the pool covered? Have you had a lot of rain? Where are you located?
Hang in there... You will be swimming in no time. Have some POP.

25ml sample size.
In Phoenix
No rain
Pool not covered
Hanging in there...
Pool's entire 5 years of life never had anything done except pucks in the leaf catcher bin.
I just moved in....there was no algae or any visible signs of discoloration, which is hard to believe when I started testing. It actually wasn't bad at all visually.
It looks really good now even though I'm not finished.

Save your reagent and use the 10ml size. Keep up the SLAM. You only need to get down to .5 and you're good.[/QUOTE
Switched to 10 ml.
I swear, aha moment....
Actually, I've been swearing a lot. Haha.
SLAMing all day.
Got my FC good and steady.. no more rollercoaster.we shall see how my overnight test fairs...
CC is FINALLY at .3.
Yay!
Thanks again to all that helped. My water is gorgeous. My daughter has even gotten invested in the chemistry, which is cool..... it's supposed to be 102 on Thurs....we neeeed this pool!
I love this forum.

CC is 0!!! My overnight loss is from FC 16 to 7 still. I overshot my 9pm offering of clorox tonight and we shall see in the morning at 6am.
My filters are clean (4 cartridge filters)
Is this just a lesson in patience?
I have gone through 8 boxes of Costco 3packs of bleach. Wow.
My water looks sooo good too.
Stupid actual chemistry results.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been very diligent about SLAMing all week and things were looking better all the time..

BUT... my overnight loss has maintained a loss in about half my ppm every morning. Then, this morning I notice an algae bloom at the return water box area! During SLAM? Really? It was definitely not there before. I actually never had any visual algae problems with this pool even before slam procedures began.
So, I scrubbed and bleached again.
Any comments?

Reminder: my cya was 40 so my slam is an FC of 16.
It has been dropping to 8-10 fc everymorning

I have been very diligent about SLAMing all week and things were looking better all the time..

BUT... my overnight loss has maintained a loss in about half my ppm every morning. Then, this morning I notice an algae bloom at the return water box area! During SLAM? Really? It was definitely not there before. I actually never had any visual algae problems with this pool even before slam procedures began.
So, I scrubbed and bleached again.
Any comments?

Reminder: my cya was 40 so my slam is an FC of 16.
It has been dropping to 8-10 fc everymorning

From what I gather from this thread, you've only been SLAMming for 3 or 4 days. Keep following the SLAM process! Just because you couldn't see it, algae was still there as evidenced by your FC use. The FC is trying to kill off the algae and it may take several more days of SLAMming. Do not give up! It is time to open a can of POP (Pool Owner Patience)! Yes, it takes a lot of bleach and a bit of time but the result is worth every ounce of bleach and second of your time.

coveroff.jpg

Good job on finding it. Now kill it ! ��

Good morning,
1 week of SLAMing as of last night.
I am sick of it to be real honest. I have tracked and test 4-5 times per day religiously.
After cleaning behind light 2 1/2 days ago, I have managed to have quite a bit less.of a fall in FC on overnight tests.
Yesterday and this morning are identical. 10p FC -16, following 6am FC is 10.

I can't take anymore. I want my life back.
We live in Phienix where everyone has a pool and I do not know a single person who goes to any real efforts at all besides the Costco pucks and shock. This is so frustrating to be the only one willing to do things right and so I am rewarded with getting to spend $150 for bleach. Agh!

Rant over.
I am seriously considering just keeping FC at the required 5 for my cya at this point.

All TFP can do is present the information that we know to be solid science.

If what we teach is not for you, that's understandable. Best of luck.

I believe you guys. You clearly know what you are doing. I appreciate the help a lot too!
I just needed to rant a second. ;)
I wish I knew how much longer it would take, which I know no one knows, but I am feeling as though there is no end to it for a momemt.

Thank you. I will motor on a little longer. I feel as though I'm close at least

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.