TA level high after raising pH...

The best way to fix the TA is to wait until the pH rises to 7.8 naturally and then lower it with acid. When pH goes down, so will TA. pH will rebound, TA will not.

As it says in Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

You shouldn’t lower TA just to reach a target number.

You'll be on a wild rollercoaster ride if you start micromanaging things.

Reactions: Briant2468
The best way to fix the TA is to wait until the pH rises to 7.8 naturally and then lower it with acid. When pH goes down, so will TA. pH will rebound, TA will not.

As it says in Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

You shouldn’t lower TA just to reach a target number.

You'll be on a wild rollercoaster ride if you start micromanaging things.
I’m a first time pool owner so that’s good to know! ? so at what point do I need to drop that TA?

I’m a first time pool owner so that’s good to know! ? so at what point do I need to drop that TA?
Straight out of that article:I linked. "There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA) right away: because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises, or if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index which puts you at risk of calcium scaling."

Meaning, you have to add acid daily to lower pH, or you're in imminent danger of growing scale on the pool walls.

Straight out of that article:I linked. "There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA) right away: because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises, or if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index which puts you at risk of calcium scaling."

Meaning, you have to add acid daily to lower pH, or you're in imminent danger of growing scale on the pool walls.
My pH is current 7.6 so it’s spot on. So I’m confused...

How often are you adding acid? How fast does your pH rise? If your pH is constantly changing then you should lower your TA. If it holds stable for weeks on end then don't worry about it.

Also, are you having problems with calcium scaling on the walls? When you do your pool math calculations, what is your CSI?

If pH is stable and CSI is normal then don't mess with total alkalinity. If alkalinity is causing problems, then lower it. Make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate4429
My pH is current 7.6 so it’s spot on. So I’m confused...
Your pH is fine, and you're probably not at risk of scale, therefore do nothing to TA.

100 TA is not way out of the ballpark. Your pH may stay in range for a week. You'll only learn your pool's personality by testing for a period of time. But each time you add acid, you lower pH and TA. So just be patient.

TA is the least critical parameter. If it's too low, a slight miscalculation on the quantity for pH adjustment up OR down can cause violent overreactions. High TA just means pH will rise faster. But each time you lower pH, you lower TA, so the interval between additions grows and the quantity needed decreases. Eventually your pool will reach its happy place where the pH holds for a week at a time or better.

Reactions: Nate4429
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.