TA high...I think

Oscar G.

Gold Supporter
My latest water test and some numbers borderline to high
CH 325-350
TA 160-170 The sample turned from green to pink at 13 drops and then looked red at around 16 drops
PH 7.6-7.7
I have pebble sheen and assume my numbers should be the same as a plaster pool, his that correct?

Also, the numbers recommended on the TF-100 instruction card differ than from Pool School. TF-100 recommends 100-120 TA form manually chlorinated pools and Pool School recommends 70-90+. How far above 90 can I go? thank you!

How are you chlorinating your pool? TF-100 is based on standard puck clorination (which we do not recommend) and Pool School is based on liquid chlorine for chlorination.

Note that new reagents can have a bit of static electricity in the tip of the reagent you add to count drops for the TA test. This can be cancelled by wiping the tip with a wet paper towel or cloth between each drop. If you don't do this you might get an artificially high TA. The endpoint for the TA test is when it turns pink/red and a new drop doesn't change the color. So keep adding until the color doesn't change with the new drop then subtract that one last drop that didn't change anything to get your number of drops.

How are you chlorinating your pool? TF-100 is based on standard puck clorination (which we do not recommend) and Pool School is based on liquid chlorine for chlorination.

Note that new reagents can have a bit of static electricity in the tip of the reagent you add to count drops for the TA test. This can be cancelled by wiping the tip with a wet paper towel or cloth between each drop. If you don't do this you might get an artificially high TA. The endpoint for the TA test is when it turns pink/red and a new drop doesn't change the color. So keep adding until the color doesn't change with the new drop then subtract that one last drop that didn't change anything to get your number of drops.

I am using liquid chlorine. I used pucks for the first few days until getting on board with TFP methods. I did wipe the tip after each drop of the R-0009 as it says on the instruction card.

Plug your results into Pool Math and calculate your CSI. If it is out of range, you should probably work to get your TA down. If it is within range, I wouldn't chase a perfect TA as it will come down over time as you add acid to lower your PH. The PH will rise quickly at first and over time the rate of rise will slow as your TA comes down. I have a vinyl pool and fairly high TA fill water. Mine has come down 100 ppm in about 6 weeks from regular PH adjustments. If you do need to get the TA down quickly, you can add enough acid to drop the PH to 7.2, then aerate until the PH gets to 8, then add acid to lower PH to 7.2. Repeat this cycle until the TA is where you want it to be.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.