Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi everyone,

I recently added CYA to get my level up to 60 (it was 0.... pool was built and filled last fall but not used till now).

pH was 7.8 before starting the addition now it's 7.2, which makes sense.

However my TA went up from 80 to 90 (the drop test is subjective though because it turns a light red at 80 but a dark red at 90).

So do I need to do anything with the TA or just let it be? It's right at the max according to pool math, but according to my filter owners manual (Hayward DE filter) it's right in the sweet spot (that says 80-120).

I will raise my pH a bit after getting the TA settled. here are the current levels

FC - 7.0 (I know this is a bit high.... I think I'm running my SWG too much. Trying to get used to this thing. But it is within range according to pool math)
CC - 0.5 (dirty dirty kids were in the pool right before the test lol)
pH - 7.2
TA - 90
CH - 180
CYA - 60
Salt - 3400

TIA!

So do I need to do anything with the TA or just let it be?
Let it be...
according to my filter owners manual (Hayward DE filter) it's right in the sweet spot (that says 80-120).
There recommendation are for puck users. A higher TA buffers the acidic effects of pucks. 60-80 is fine in a chlorinated or SWCG pool.
I will raise my pH a bit after getting the TA settled. here are the current levels
Leave your pH alone. There are only VERY rare cases we would recommend you raise pH. Any pH in the 7s is fine. When it gets to 8, reduce to 7.8. Your pH should be fairly stable, and there is no need to drive pH down to 7.2.

(the drop test is subjective though because it turns a light red at 80 but a dark red at 90).
For this test, continue dropping until there is no further color change. Subtract the drop that results in no color change. Don't worry so much about the shade of red.

Reactions: PoolStored