Switching to Sand Filter

NovicePoolMom

Jul 19, 2020
Hello,

I received my Intex 14 inch sand filter yesterday and I'm going to go attempt to hook it up today. The pool has been set up and in use for over a month, using the cartridge filter. Any pointers or guidance for switching out after the pool is already filled would be greatly appreciated. I assume I'll just use the little black plugs on all three inlets/outlet, hook everything up and follow directions, then unplug.
Also, my pool has two inlets (water out of pool to filter); do I need to use both of them or can I block one off? I'm also concerned that the new pump, being more powerful, will be an issue with the smaller 1.25 in. outlet (water back to pool), as I'm not brave enough yet to cut a hole in my pool for the larger nozzles. Does the smaller size tubing ever cause too much pressure in the pump? The manual shows pictures of how to attach the adapters to make it work, so I am hoping it will be fine.

(intex 14x42 AGP)

Correct. You'll need to close-off the water ports to disconnect the tubing from the cart filter unless you have a shut-off valve on that line. Since you are connecting an Intex sand filter, it should mate to the original threaded nuts from the existing hoses. Assuming you get the sand filter connected and in position, then you'll fill it with sand. Be sure to add a few inches of water to the filter before dumping the sand to protect the laterals below. Make sure you are using #20 silica pool sand. Once running, you'll need to do an initial backwash followed by a rinse to clean and pack-down the new sand. As for the two suction lines, you can try using just one at first to see if it supplies enough water to the new pump/filter. If so, then you can maybe use the old hole/port for another water return jet, or perhaps add a PVC extension later for a small fountain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.