Switching Sequestrate from EDTA to HEDP

I need to do the ascorbic acid treatment but I already added 2 bottles of EDTA Metal Free from Natural Chemist.

Just to update, according to this MSDS, Natural Chemistry® METALfree is NOT EDTA but is an acrylic copolymer with citric acid. Note that this is completely incompatible with Polyquat. An acrylic copolymer is a long negatively charged molecule while Polyquat is a long positively charged molecule. They will combine to form a cloudy precipitated mess that will need to be filtered out.

ProTeam Metal Magic is HEDP and is not a problem to use with METALfree. Basically, the metal sequestrants are generally compatible with each other, but the polymeric metal sequestrants are NOT compatibile with Polyquat or with most clarifiers.

Thanks chem geek, I found out the hard way when I originally added metal free and polyquat together and the pool clouded for days until my filter cleared it up.

swampwoman, You can start bringing up your chlorine level soon after stains are removed. For me I believe it was the second day and it was much easier to raise then with the AA treatment. It won't take near as much chlorine with this treatment so don't forget to factor that cost into the other treatments.

Thanks! I actually started raising it already...perhaps I jumped the gun a bit, but overall, pools looking good...and yes, nowhere near the battle to raise the chlorine back. It's true, I'd though of that while comparing he cost but didn't add it in except in my mind ;) for me, the results of this treatment have been as good as AA but better in terms of less hassle.

While none if the three treatment has completely nailed the historic problems I'm not sure they're solve able ;)

I'm going to try an experiment with the Metal Free, some large sponges and a kettle bell on a few of the historic spot stains and the one corner that I suspect has under-liner growth next weekend. If the suspect corner des not respond, I might go ahead and treat the surrounding soil in that area with ferrous sulphate...which would kill any undergrowth. There's a huge set of azaleas in that corner, but they like acidic soil and would respond well to the ferrous sulphate. My only concern, of course, it the irony of treating the perimeter with in essence IRON when I m also fighting iron...but guess that would only matter if the liner were permeable...since I'd only treat the level ground where the French drains run around the pool perimeter, not the terrace which could run off...

Update: experiment scuttled due to previously unscheduled out of town guest. That happens wen you have a pool :)

Steps etc. continue to look awesome, chlorine holding well etc. happy with treatment and no backlash on chlorine and ph rising.

That's great to hear.

I'm very happy with this procedure and would recommend it to anyone with a vinyl pool who first does the sponge test to see if the stains can be removed this way. Much easier than AA if it works, it did for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.