Switching out cartridge filter pump

NovicePoolMom

Jul 19, 2020
Hello,
Second year getting our 14 x 42 Intex Prism frame set up and running. After putting in a lot of work to remove sod and level our site, I'm ready to upgrade to a sand filter. I've done some research but would love hearing the experienced advice here. Several questions...
1. Intex has 10, 12, 14, ,and 16 inch sized sand filters; which would be best for my sized pool? Based on my pool volume, the 10 in would suffice according to their description (min 2800 to max 8400 gallons; mine is roughly 3500 gallons) Also, is it discouraged to go larger given that the 14 in states your pool size should be at minimum 5500 gallons? What would be the down side of going larger? I may at some point get a larger pool, but would be no larger than 18 ft (roughly 7000 gallons) and would like to purchase a pump that could handle that pool.
2. Are there better options than Intex? Or should I just stick with the same brand for compatibility sake?
3. Are these pumps truly more powerful than my cartridge filter? I can't even get suction on my side-mounted skimmer and this bums me out. Also, if it is more powerful, can it support a vacuum for the bottom of the pool? And since we're talking vacuums, what do you all use for your AGPs? I've not even started researching those yet.
4. Would a sand filter/pump be difficult to switch out now that my pool is already filled and in use?
5. If I decide to get a SWG at some point, can that be added to this pump/filtration system, or do you need to start all over?

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

The problem with staying with Intex is the pumps and filters are just as or more expensive now than a normal pump and filter, but they are easy as everything stays the same = no modification.. I had to modify all the connections and install a skimmer...

1. The bigger the better.. I have an Intex and my cartridge filter is a clean and clear 320 sq ft... The 16 inch will work on both pools/ any pool..
2. way better options but the cost goes up..
3. yes, the bigger pumps are more powerful
4. no and I would recommend it, there cart filters are WAY undersized
5. if you are thinking of SWG just get it now if you can find one, that is the hard part as I think they are sold out and if you do find them they are way overpriced..

Do you want to or can you DIY / modify your pool? if so you have a way bigger and better selection out there.. :)

This 2 speed pump is great

20 inch sand filter

Or the Intex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.