Fort Mill, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
How do I move from my current situation of Shocking my pool to SLAMing it? What do I do with my pool while waiting for my test kit to arrive?
Background:
We just got our pool & started with trips to the local pool store for testing & supplies. This week they gave me a printout and told me what to add. So I did. However, now. I want to follow the SLAM methodology which is different. I’ve ordered a test kit this morning & am waiting for it to arrive. Yesterday, I followed the store’s instructions & turned off my SWG while I added all the pool store chemicals & salt but I kept the pump running. Should I just leave my pool like this until the test kit arrives?

Hi, @Pool22H ! Welcome to TFP. First and foremost, please stay out of the pool store. They are not the experts and they will cost you a lot of money, time, and anguish if you let them.

"Shocking" is something you do when you follow pool store methodology because it inevitably leads to the FC/CYA ratio going out of whack. The idea is that the shock will raise the FC level enough to keep algae at bay. It only works for so long.

SLAMming is not something that is done just because. It is a process intended to fix specific problems. Read through Pool School and especially the Pool Care Basics.

Why did you turn your SWCG off? What did the pool store sell you and what did you add?

Reactions: Pool22H
Probably the best way to proceed is to add about 3-4 ppm of Liquid chlorine to your pool each day until your kit arrives. Nothing else.......just liquid chlorine

Once your kit gets to you, run a complete set of tests and post the results. We'll all help if you need a little guidance.

Once we get your test results, we can help adjust anything that needs it. How does your water look?

I am making my way through all of the articles and will keep learning…

The store gave me these basic instructions but they were a little confusing; this is what I added and why (I think).

Ph is high, so added muriatic acid.
CYA was low, so added stabilizer.
Salt is low so added salt & turned the SWG off.
Chlorine was low so added super shock.

Probably the best way to proceed is to add about 3-4 ppm of Liquid chlorine to your pool each day until your kit arrives. Nothing else.......just liquid chlorine

Once your kit gets to you, run a complete set of tests and post the results. We'll all help if you need a little guidance.

Once we get your test results, we can help adjust anything that needs it. How does your water look?
Thank you!

The water looks fine, no algae or cloudiness.
Will Super Shock-it 73 do in place of liquid chlorine? I have a huge/expensive tub of it.🤦🏼‍♀️

Looking at your poolmath logs - the cal hypo added approximately 10ppm fc.
Do u have cloudy water or visible algae?
If so that 10ppm is probably gone.
You can add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily to prevent things from getting worse until your kit comes, then you can get accurate data & determine if u need to do the SLAM Process.
It looks like u only added 1 bag of salt so u can turn the swg back on to assist for now as well.
When your kit comes post all your results & we can help u get going.

Welcome to TFP! Great job finding us before the pool store ripped you off too much. Agree with above. If you haven’t already, download the poolmath app and add your pool specs for easy tracking and so you can know how much of whatever to add and what your target numbers are.

Thank you!

The water looks fine, no algae or cloudiness.
Will Super Shock-it 73 do in place of liquid chlorine? I have a huge/expensive tub of it.🤦🏼‍♀️
That’s fine for now - be aware that it adds calcium to your pool as well as fc. The fc gets depleted daily but the calcium remains. If you end up needing to SLAM you will need to use liquid chlorine to prevent adding too much calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.