Switching from Calcium Hypochlorite Pucks to Liquid Chlorine

Hi. This is my third summer taking care of a pool as a tenant so still really new at this. This summer I have had very high readings of calcium hardness, which I presume is coming from the source of chlorination I've been using -all have Calcium Hypochlorite. I would like to switch to Liquid chlorine as my understanding is that the ingredient is Sodium hypochlorite and have a few questions:

1) What type do I buy?
2) How much do I need each time? Trying to determine how much to purchase at a time.
3) How often? (the pucks were simple to use no measuring just kept 2-3 pucks in the container each week. Hoping this will be as simple.)
4) What technique is used when adding it to the pool water?
5) If the calcium is really high (500-600) can this cause a white cloudiness to come through the return jets when the pump comes on and leave a white powdery like residue at the bottom and side walls once it has settled?

The pool is 15,000 gallons, vinyl liner, all day sun until about 6PM. Live in MD so pool temps have been at a pretty consistent 92 degrees. I use the TF test kit.
Thanks,
Georgina

Hi welcome to TFP. Chlorine strength varies so you need to look at that where you purchase. Look for % Sodium Hypochlorite. I have purchased 12.5% from Leslie's, 10.5% from Pinch a Penny Pool, and 10% from Home Depot. You need to put the proper % in your Pool Math app to calculate the proper amount you add each day. Also Pool Math app has a feature where you can calculate the price per % of chlorine based on what is type of chlorine is available in your area.
Manually using liquid chlorine will not be as easy as using pucks - just want to be clear on that point. It will require daily dosages. As a rule of thumb - 1 gal liquid bleach per 10k gals will raise Chlorine 5ppm. Obviously this slightly varies if you are using 10% or 12.5% chlorine. Suggest you test daily to get a feel for your pool and environment.
I purchase 3-4 gals at a time. Currently I am adding 1 pt to 1 qt a day depending on usage, rain, sun, etc. I have nearly same size of IG pool. Chlorine does have a shelf life so don't buy a very large quantity at a time unless you can store it properly.
If you go out of town, you may want to go back to pucks just for that timeframe unless you have someone that can come daily to pour chlorine in your pool.
Some people have set up an injection system using a 10-15 gal tank. This makes it more convenient and similar to using the puck process It is something to consider if you have the time to do that. One version uses a Stenner pump which is low volume and can be set up on a timer.
I can't speak to Calcium issue but suggest you read the info on ABC of Pool Chemistry.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Your CSI is high. You are creating scale in your water. You need to manage your CSI to be below 0.3.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.