Chattanooga/TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Haven't posted in a while, but I gotta say I am very impressed with the increased flow rate from the switch. The water is clear regardless (I'm a firm believer that proper water balance is the key to that), but I like that it will turn over the water much faster. Hope you all have a great pool season!

If anyone in the Chattanooga area wants two sets of filters for the Pentair S8M150, just shout and they are yours for free: the filters

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I don't get why you had a flow restriction with such a symple system. I have the 500 sq ft system 3 (more or less the same) and it runs 3 to 4 psi on low speed and 14 to 16 at full throttle, with a similarly simple setup. Unless the carts aren't as clean as you think. We had one the other day where they needed a deeper cleaning than they had been given.

Meh. However it's working better, I'm glad for you. :)

I don't get why you had a flow restriction with such a simple system.
I think for a couple of reasons. The previous plumbing was atrocious; the return line had four 90° elbows. Also, my pump sits about 6’ below the pool water level. With the brand new filter/sand and improved plumbing I’m still hitting 22 p.s.i. right out of the gate.

Eric,

Are you basing your flow on the filters PSI?

Filter pressure is backward from what most people think. The higher the pressure, the harder it is to force water through the filter.

Do you still have the original pump? If so, I really doubt the actual flow has increased.

That said... as long as you are happy, I am happy.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
the return line had four 90° elbows.
This never matters anywhere nearly as much as everyone always thinks. Your indoor plumbing has a slew of hard 90s and nobody has ever questioned how many there were before the faucets. For good reason.

It also has nothing to do with replacing the filter. You could have cleaned that up and kept the carts.

Also, my pump sits about 6’ below the pool water level
this remains unchanged and is another red herring as to why you needed to replace your filter.

Be honest. You secretly hated it, didn't you ? :ROFLMAO:

This never matters anywhere nearly as much as everyone always thinks. Your indoor plumbing has a slew of hard 90s and nobody has ever questioned how many there were before the faucets. For good reason.

It also has nothing to do with replacing the filter. You could have cleaned that up and kept the carts.

this remains unchanged and is anothet red herring as to why you needed to replace your filter.

Be honest. You secretly hated it, didn't you ? :ROFLMAO:
Oh, I hated it, and not secretly either. 😂

I had to replace it because the filter housing was cracked at the water inlet. I wanted to switch to a sand filter for easier maintenance.

Reactions: Newdude
I am a big fan of sand filters. I doubt you will be disappointed.

22psi is, nevertheless, a little too high for your setup. I would suspect the gauge rather than anything really wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.