Switch from Cal Hypo to Liquid Chlorine

Jusbwn

Jul 8, 2023
New Jersey, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi all,

I want to switch to liquid chlorine. My pool has been a pain this year mainly because the FC levels have been difficult to maintain with powdered cal hypo. I also do not want to keep adding calcium to my pool. It is cloudy recently, so I plan to SLAM until things are in check.

Current levels and questions are below.

1. Can I immediately switch to liquid chlorine, like today? I put 6lb of cal hypo in last night.
  2. Can you add liquid chlorine at any time of day?
  3. What is the method for adding liquid chlorine? (Dump straight in pool? Brush?)

Current levels:
TA = 100
pH = 7.4
FC = 2.4
CC = 0.5
CYA = 40-50

Thanks!

I find it best to add LC twice a day. It depletes with sun and it is best to try to maintain a constant level of FC in the pool. You do not say how many gallons is your pool. Also how much direct sunlight your pool sees has an effect on LC consumption.
In the summer you should test daily.
It is best to get your only test kit and do not rely on test strips.
Test Kits Compared

Also for a CYA of 50, you should be in the range of 6-8ppm FC. LC will increase the FC quickly more so than granular shock.
Follow the chart FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.