SWG worth it?

ja123

May 21, 2018
NJ
Considering having a SWG installed. Would this cut down pool maintenance time in regards to adding chlorine daily? What about costs in chlorine/bleach is there a significant savings? I am also concerned with salt causing damage to the pool and surroundings. Any feedback is appreciated!

Reactions: JessB412
You will be hard pressed to find any of us on this forum with a SWCG that would ever give it up. They are that good.

The SWCG creates your chlorine. You may, on occasion, need to supplement with some liquid chlorine (pool party, big storm, etc). The cost of the SWCG typically correlates with the overall cost of buying liquid chlorine over the life of the SWCG.
You still must regularly test your pool water chemistry and manage all the parameters.

There has been no evidence that the salinity level for a SWCG accelerates any corrosion of pool area items.

Considering having a SWG installed. Would this cut down pool maintenance time in regards to adding chlorine daily?

Yes. You just have to check your CL periodically to see that your SWG settings are correct.

What about costs in chlorine/bleach is there a significant savings?

Cost ends up being around the same. You are just buying a multi-year amount of CL generating capacity all at once.

I am also concerned with salt causing damage to the pool and surroundings. Any feedback is appreciated!

Every pool accumulates salt. You are putting salt in your pool with every jug of LC you put in. A non-SWG pool can accumulate 1000 - 2000 ppm of salt over the years if the water is not drained. A swg only needs 3000 ppm of salt to operate. Having a SWG does not add to the damage issues.

Follks who like to do numbers feel that the costs of salt water generators is just about the same as adding chlorine daily, its just that you're paying for all that chlorine up front instead of over time. And not having to haul those jugs from the market!

Obviously it is easier since it does the work, but that doesn't mean you don't occasionally tweak the settings based on your water testing. You'll increase or decrease the time you run your pump or the percentage the device runs based on if you want more chlorine or less in the water. Its not a total "set it and forget it" system.

I've been able to travel for up to 17 days leaving my pool running (covered) and come home to a sparkling clean pool. So there is that convenience to consider.

Maddie :flower:

ja,

The cost is about the same either way.. With a SWCG you buy your chlorine all at once...

Salt damage is just a myth... Most SWCG issues are caused by the pool owner who thinks you just install a SWCG and then do nothing at all... Even with a SWCG you have to routinely test and adjust your water balance..

The real advantage to a SWCG is that the water feels great and it automatically adds the chlorine for you...

I currently have three saltwater pools.. If I built another 100 pools, they would all be saltwater pools..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: RubiconValley
Having had one running for exactly one week now, I can say I'll never go back. I love it. I think it's going to be totally worth it.

I've about got it fine-tuned, at least for the weather we have now. Mine runs from noon to 5 pm, when we have the greatest amount of sun on the pool and the most chlorine loss. When it comes on at noon, the FC is 4.5. When it shuts off at 5 pm, the FC has made up the afternoon chlorine loss plus a bit, and is at 5.0. The Chlorine is not varying more than 0.5 in any 24 hour cycle. Ding dong, the bleach is dead!

Reactions: homegameroom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool automation is a central control panel that controls your pump, cleaner, lights, spa, etc.

A better description in your signature about the specific equipment you have would let us better direct you. Or post pics of your equipment pad and labels on equipment if you don't know it and we will help you figure it out.

Figure out who you are going to get to install the SWG and what they prefer or sell and we will provide advice on it.

If you've ever done PVC sprinkler repair and have some basic DIY skills, you can probably do it yourself. It's nothing more than plumbing in the unit, connecting to power, and mounting the control unit. You are the best person to decide if the job is within your skill set. Maybe you have family members or friends that can help you out. Lots of folks here can help walk you through the process.

Is a automation system required for a SWG?

No, not required. Just that if you have an automation system or planning to get one in the future it is best for the SWG and automation to be from the same manufacturer. If they are different the automation may not work well or at all in controlling the SWG.

Considering having a SWG installed. Would this cut down pool maintenance time in regards to adding chlorine daily? What about costs in chlorine/bleach is there a significant savings? I am also concerned with salt causing damage to the pool and surroundings. Any feedback is appreciated!

I'm thinking of adding one too. The municipality was slow to adopt allowing backwashing to house waste lines. I don't have a way tie into it now. I assume the salt would eventually over-salinate the backwash area and kill vegetation?

I love my SWG and wouldn't have a pool without it.

I backwash into the street, so I don't know but I don't think the salt content is that high?

The best part of the SWCG is that I don't need to worry about chlorine (or coming home to a pool with algae) if I go away for a week or so. You will get to know your pool and its chlorine consumption and will get it dialed in to where you truly have a trouble free pool! I did it reluctantly (I was wishy-washy about it, but I rebuilt the high pressure side of my plumbing and had the opportunity to easily add it) and I am VERY happy that i did it!

I love my SWG and wouldn't have a pool without it.

I backwash into the street, so I don't know but I don't think the salt content is that high?
We can't back wash to the street. A few backwashes are likely not an issue but the salt level of the soil in the backwash area will build up and cause issues. I think. :)

The short story here to the OP is that if I could solve my backwash issue, I'd have a SWG here tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.