St Augustine, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are just about at the 30 day mark of our pool completion and getting ready to add salt and turn on the SWG. Any suggestions on a good place to start setting-wise for this time of year?

Latests test results in case that matters...

FC: 3
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 400
CYA: 55
Salt: 560
Borates: 15
Temp: 75

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar pool as yours with the IC40 and just started the SWCG a few weeks ago. I've been playing with mine, but it seems to be doing good at 20%, with the pump running on low speeds for 15 hours a day.

Your pool does not consumer much free chlorine this time of year. An IC40 at 30% in 14,000 gallons will generate 1.8 ppm of FC a day if your pump is run for 12 hours a day. When you get into the Spring you will need to increase your % output as your pool consumes more FC.

BTW, your CYA is 60 and your FC target is 4 with your SWG running. See FC/CYA Levels

If the dot disappears between 60 and 50 lines then you round up and call it 60. You cannot eyeball that halfway between lines is 5 since the scale is logarithmic, not linear.

Remember to test your salt content in the pool before you go adding any. Pools in service will have had salt added already with each chemical previously added. You don't want to overshoot it.

Next, add your salt while the SWG is *off*, wait a day for it to all dissolve and mix in well before turning the SWG on. Also have your FC at the desired level (via liquid chlorine) and let the SWG maintain that. One mistake folks make is thinking the SWG will take them up from zero to goal level before algae can take hold. Its false... a SWG works like a tortoise...slow and steady.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.