Tampa FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
For the past month my SWG is on a higher setting, but not producing the same as it was. It’s still producing chlorine, but previously I would have it on 10% for a FC level of 5. Now I’ve got it on 50 and I can’t get the FC over 4. I don’t have CC. I pulled off the cell and rinsed it - it was very clean, but I thought that it may need it because it wasn’t working as it should. It didn’t change. I added salt as I emptied the pool a bit a couple of weeks ago and had the salt cell on for a few minutes as omnilogic turned it back on without me realizing it. But it seems to have recovered and is still producing chlorine - I tested right from the return and it’s got plenty of chlorine coming in. And it’s maintaining 4 on a setting of 50%.

Is there a reason this is happening? Anything I can do to get it to work more efficiently like it was. I turned it up to 80 today hoping to get it back to FC 5 in the morning. Or could it be that’s it just really really hot right now? Which it has been for a few weeks here in Florida.

I’m just a bit confused as the pool is very well balanced, I’ve never had a drop in chlorine and I test for FC and Ph daily. Oh - and the Ph seems to be remaining stable at 7.6 which is also a bit odd. Usually each week it rises again to 7.8 and then 8. I run the pump 24/7 - 3 hours on high and the rest on low. Just not sure if I have a problem or I’m just experiencing the side effects of Florida summer.

I see you just added CYA. I would give it a couple days to see if that helps. If my CYA drops below 70, my FC loss goes up by 25-50%.

I see you just added CYA. I would give it a couple days to see if that helps. If my CYA drops below 70, my FC loss goes up by 25-50%.
Yeah - it dropped for some reason to 50. I used liquid CyA - it’s back at 70. This could be why…

Not only can @mknauss type faster than me and post solutions for pool water chemistry questions, but he can read minds, too. I was going to ask, how do you test? What is your CYA? Has it changed?

Then I read Marty’s post (post#2), that he saw OP had added CYA. I re-read post #1 three times and never saw CYA added till post #3. Marty is real good!

I had a very similar issues a few months back, struggling to keep my FC above 4 or 5..Raised CYA to 70 from 40ish and my FC was around 9 or 10 2 days later with no other changes.
I even had to turn my SWG way down to get it back to 5 so hopefully your will level out

Reactions: TeenaTeens
Ahh… You got me. I didn’t look for the logs.
And I keep everything logged! Except my daily water guru tests - I only log my Taylor’s and leave the water guru in its own app. CYA dropped recently - always had it on 70 and it’s back there again. Probably happened when I emptied some water following crazy rain but weirdly the Taylors test didn’t tell me that it had dropped to 40-50. Although I’m still not great at recognizing the black dot disappearing so I do recognize it it could very well be user error 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣 But it’s back to 70. Hopefully this will sort it out. I just though liquid conditioner worked instantly. Another chalk mark on my learning board!

And I keep everything logged! Except my daily water guru tests - I only log my Taylor’s and leave the water guru in its own app. CYA dropped recently - always had it on 70 and it’s back there again. Probably happened when I emptied some water following crazy rain but weirdly the Taylors test didn’t tell me that it had dropped to 40-50. Although I’m still not great at recognizing the black dot disappearing so I do recognize it it could very well be user error 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣 But it’s back to 70. Hopefully this will sort it out. I just though liquid conditioner worked instantly. Another chalk mark on my learning board!
I test twice a week with Taylor’s.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be sure you are using your proper test kit when you think things need adjusting. The other device is approximate, at best.

Yes.. I have been pretty awful in doing TFP for my pool for about the last year due to multiple family emergencies. The SWCG kept me from having major issues, but I think I might have taken a year of life off of the cell in the process. So it REALLY has spoiled me. The pool looks great, especially if I sweep it up this weekend. The SWCG does most of TFP for you and that is why they are so highly recommended here.

I also had my CYA drop probably due to monsoons (which have been quite active this year, lotsa rain here), so I am back to adding it. But even with my cell scaling up too fast now, I still run mine at less than 40% output and if I am not careful it generates to much chlorine. I am about to complain about the cell again.. but really I need to be asking for advice to do my first water change. CH is a bear here in Tucson. Probably need to figure out a water softener to put outside at the equipment (maybe the RV one, manual recharge doesn't scare me)... Certainly, when I refill, I'm going to run the hose from somewhere in the house that is softened.

Be sure you are using your proper test kit when you think things need adjusting. The other device is approximate, at best.
I test with Taylor’s. The WG simply is used to alert me to a drop in FC. It has proved pretty accurate actually.

My FC dropped again today after I turned it down to 30% yesterday. My Ph also dropped which it hasn’t done since I started in April. I think the salt cell isn’t operating as it should. I measured straight from the return again @4.5 - a month ago it was 9! I’ve turned it back up. My CyA is 70. Should I raise it to 80? Also some sofa ash to raise the Ph again? I’m getting a bit worried as up until now everything has been very balanced except for rising Ph (except when I’ve had to empty water due to rain). Wondering if I broke the salt cell when I ran it while adding salt a few weeks ago… at least I now know not to turn it down as much as I did this time. I’ll try it at 60% once I get the FC back up. Sorry to hassle you again…

I see this - I’ll raise the CYA today. And the Ph and play a bit more with my % on the SWG.

No reason to adjust pH. 7.4 is fine. I assume your Poolmath logs are from your Taylor kit.

Run the diagnostics on your SWCG and post them here. See Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading
It’s an Omni logic. I will take a look. My CSI is not looking good for the first time that’s why I thought to raise the Ph. And yes Taylor’s kit - I have the full kit including salt and drop chlorine. Should I raise the CyA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.