SWG running but no chlorine

I noticed some algae on the corners of the pool so I checked the water with a strip test. The strip Showed no chlorine. I went and checked the Aqua Pure board and nothing indicating any errors. It had the Flow light green and indicated that it was running at 90%. Pulled the cell and it looked relatively clean but I cleaned it anyway. Put a bag of shock in with some 3/4 gallon Hydrachloric acid (test said PH was high) and let it run over night. Got up and checked again in the morning and the strip indicated that everything was in normal range. Tested again later in the day and it showed no chlorine again. Decided to take a sample to a store and have them test it. These are the results:

Free Chlorine: .22
Total Chlorine: .49
PH: 8
Tot Alk: 158
Calcium Hard: 186
Cyanuric Acid: 5
Iron: .1
Phosphates: .1
Salt: 2830

It appears that the equipment is running fine but the chlorine levels are not there. What should I do?

If (big if) that CYA test is accurate, the problem is that the sun is getting the chlorine as fast as the SWG makes it because the CYA is too low.

But we don't place much trust in either test strips or pool store tests around here. I don't want to suggest you add CYA, because it might be enough already and if you overshoot, you'll have to replace water--- and you'll lose salt too.

I think you'll need to invest in a proper test kit so you can be sure about CYA and run Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae. With accurate numbers, it shouldn't be hard to get things figured out.

If (big if) that CYA test is accurate, the problem is that the sun is getting the chlorine as fast as the SWG makes it because the CYA is too low.

But we don't place much trust in either test strips or pool store tests around here. I don't want to suggest you add CYA, because it might be enough already and if you overshoot, you'll have to replace water--- and you'll lose salt too.

I think you'll need to invest in a proper test kit so you can be sure about CYA and run Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae. With accurate numbers, it shouldn't be hard to get things figured out.
Thanks for the info. I will get a test kit and test the levels.

I have ordered the TF-100 kit. Does the FC have to be a certain level before I add any conditioner? Do any other levels need to be to a certain point before increasing the CYA?

I have ordered the TF-100 kit. Does the FC have to be a certain level before I add any conditioner? Do any other levels need to be to a certain point before increasing the CYA?
No not really.. I would go ahead and get your CYA up and continue to add liquid chlorine until your test kit comes. You can get a rough idea from your current tests.. but shoot for the bottom of your target range so you don't overshoot your CYA levels. hope that helps

Reactions: jlbutler2879
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.