SWG run time calculations assistance

I ran it all night on 100% - in 11 hours (I was doing four hour test - forgot and slept), it was raised FC by .5
Yeah, you seem to have other issues. If the SWG was running at the advertised production and without anything consuming your chlorine, the FC should have risen by 7 ppm over the 11 hours. Even at the reduced production that sbcpool is seeing your FC should have risen by 2.2 ppm. Are you sure that your pool is clear of algae??

So just to contribute to the conversation because I find it interesting. I have an edge-40. I had the toughest time getting it dialed in with a few SLAMs due to erratically dropping FC (FC would hold for 2 days then drop suddenly). I finally treated for phosphates (tested at 2500+) and it's been night and day since.
Now that I have my pool under control, this week I had it set on 37.5% for 8.5 hours. My FC went from 8 to 11 in 4 days with getting several inches of rain. Pool math says at this setting SWG should be producing 2.0 FC per day. My pool gets plenty of sun and I have 3.5 yo twins that swim almost everyday. There is no way my pool is ONLY using 1.25 FC per day. So I guess my circupool is "overproducing", or I mean the display setting is not accurate for the amount of FC being generated.
Note: my CYA is prob around 60 because I added some recently to get it up from 50 but didn't have enough to get to goal.

I finally finished the whole phosphate routine, including vacuuming and cleaning the filter. It appears to have helped a little bit as last night a 4-hour run time at 100% produced 1.2 ppm increase. Still nowhere near the 3.2 I would expect with the unit's rated production, but more than the 0.8 I was seeing before. I will test another night or two in case it was a fluke.

Now that I have my pool under control, this week I had it set on 37.5% for 8.5 hours. My FC went from 8 to 11 in 4 days with getting several inches of rain. Pool math says at this setting SWG should be producing 2.0 FC per day. My pool gets plenty of sun and I have 3.5 yo twins that swim almost everyday. There is no way my pool is ONLY using 1.25 FC per day. So I guess my circupool is "overproducing", or I mean the display setting is not accurate for the amount of FC being generated.
If your pool is losing 25% per day (2 ppm from 8), getting from 8 to 11 in 4 days suggests a total daily production of around 5 ppm in 3 hours' run time. That would be almost precisely 60g per hour, which is what the RJ60+ is supposed to produce.

Good news is, Circupool has been VERY responsive. I've emailed a couple times and they responded quickly. I emailed them right after I tested Sunday morning and they called me today. They called me at home -- yes, I still have a home phone -- don't judge. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Taylor K-1766 finally came and I confirmed twice, the salt level in my pool is 4,800 ppm (24 drops) even though test strips and the RJ60+ both read in the 3,800 range. A pool store test reads 3400.
I did the same to make sure. Salt is OK for me. SWG reads lower.

At this point for me, either I have algae I can't see that's eating chlorine or something is amiss with my unit. This will be my first SLAM with the SWG. CYA test is giving me fits, due to it being imprecise. Can I see that dot???? I think so... well, maybe not. I'm on the brink of blowing money on a turbidity tester. Once, I SLAM, I think i'll be in a better position to re-test the SWG FC output. Thinking back now, I'm leaning toward an algae issue that might be blooming and using FC just enough to remain undetected, visually. Tomorrow, I'll start the process.

I did the same to make sure. Salt is OK for me. SWG reads lower.

At this point for me, either I have algae I can't see that's eating chlorine or something is amiss with my unit. This will be my first SLAM with the SWG. CYA test is giving me fits, due to it being imprecise. Can I see that dot???? I think so... well, maybe not. I'm on the brink of blowing money on a turbidity tester. Once, I SLAM, I think i'll be in a better position to re-test the SWG FC output. Thinking back now, I'm leaning toward an algae issue that might be blooming and using FC just enough to remain undetected, visually. Tomorrow, I'll start the process.
Did your pool fail an OCLT? If not, you don't have algae eating your FC.

I went ahead and tested for phosphates. Taylor test indicated between 250-500 ppb (lighter than 250, darker than 500). I will probably re-test when I open the pool and add the appropriate amount of Orenda PR-10000. I don't really think this is influencing the amount of chlorine being produced but eh, why not.

Well guys, I'm packing it up. I've tried everything and the unit just won't deliver more than 1.0 ppm FC per 4 hours. I've disconnected the unit and will be replumbing to remove the cell later today. I'm considering my options as far as another brand.

Well guys, I'm packing it up. I've tried everything and the unit just won't deliver more than 1.0 ppm FC per 4 hours. I've disconnected the unit and will be replumbing to remove the cell later today. I'm considering my options as far as another brand.

Definitely keep us updated. I’m very interested to see what happens with another brand. Whether this is a problem unique to circupool, unique to your pool, or something that affects the whole industry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.