SWG registers adequate FC when running only

carpenterss

Silver Supporter
Just got our pool in October. Last week the PB drained and acid washed the pool to fix some defects in the finish. They dumped salt in, Intellichlor says 3800. I currently have output for the pool set at 40% and Spa output at 10%. When the system is running and I test the water, it looks like its close to 3.0. So, then I moved on to the PH test (it needed more muratic acid) and so I started trying to remedy that situation.

The problem is that if I test the water when the pump is not running, I get no reading. I mean the water in the tester stays absolutely clear. So I am not sure how to proceed. Those are the only two tests I have run so far, so I can't provide any more numbers. I have the small Pentair test kit (I thought i would use that up before buying the kit recommended here). Do I need to shock the pool to get the FC up and stabilized?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I didn't have any issues like this in the Fall when the PB started up the pool.
Thanks (as always).

Golf,

I suspect you know this already, but just to make sure we are all on the same page...

SWCG's are generally designed to maintain the FC level in a pool, so when a pool is initially filled, you should raise the FC to the wanted level by adding Liquid Chlorine or Bleach. For a freshly filled 20K pool, that would be just less than 1 1/2 jugs of 8.25% bleach to bring the FC up to 6 ppm. Your SWCG can take over from there..

How long the FC will stay at this level is based upon a couple of things. Did the Pool builder add any CYA to your pool when he refilled it. If not, and your CYA level is 0, then the FC will be quickly consumed. If your PB did not add CYA then that is something that you will need to do yourself or have your PB come back and finish the job.

For a saltwater pool, we suggest that your CYA level be about 70 to 80 ppm. Does you Pentair test kit have a test for CYA?

Another thing that effects how quickly the FC is used up is sunlight. A pool in our area will use 2 to 4 ppm per day.. In my case it is closer to 4 ppm each day in the middle of the summer.

Keep in mind that it is difficult to answer your questions when we can't see valid test data. Kind of like asking a doctor if your arm is broken, but you won't spend the money for an X-Ray..

Thanks for posting.. not sure I was able to answer your questions, but if you keep asking, we'll keep trying.. :p

Jim R.

Golf,

I suspect you know this already, but just to make sure we are all on the same page...

SWCG's are generally designed to maintain the FC level in a pool, so when a pool is initially filled, you should raise the FC to the wanted level by adding Liquid Chlorine or Bleach. For a freshly filled 20K pool, that would be just less than 1 1/2 jugs of 8.25% bleach to bring the FC up to 6 ppm. Your SWCG can take over from there..

How long the FC will stay at this level is based upon a couple of things. Did the Pool builder add any CYA to your pool when he refilled it. If not, and your CYA level is 0, then the FC will be quickly consumed. If your PB did not add CYA then that is something that you will need to do yourself or have your PB come back and finish the job.

For a saltwater pool, we suggest that your CYA level be about 70 to 80 ppm. Does you Pentair test kit have a test for CYA?

Another thing that effects how quickly the FC is used up is sunlight. A pool in our area will use 2 to 4 ppm per day.. In my case it is closer to 4 ppm each day in the middle of the summer.

Keep in mind that it is difficult to answer your questions when we can't see valid test data. Kind of like asking a doctor if your arm is broken, but you won't spend the money for an X-Ray..

Thanks for posting.. not sure I was able to answer your questions, but if you keep asking, we'll keep trying.. :p

Jim R.
Thanks for the info - no, I didn't realize you had to get the FC level up to the wanted level after a restart. The PB did it last time and with the issues we have had with them, it doesn't surprise me that they skipped it. The Pentair test kit does not have the CYA test. It only has 4 basic tests (yes, I'll order the TF-100 kit soon). In the meantime, I can run up to the pool shop and confirm the CYA level. I will re-read the info here on the site too(summer's coming). Many thanks for getting me headed in the right direction, exactly what I needed!

I'd go ahead and order the TF-100 sooner, than later. Pool Stores are notorious for getting the CYA test and most others *wrong* and causing a lot of headaches for folks trying to balance their water.

The $70 you spend will save you hundreds since you won't be buying unnecessary chemicals. I promise! And you can buy refills as needed to supplement your kit.

Yippee :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.