SWG Recommendations

lsutigers

Apr 12, 2020
Naples, FL
Hi, I am new to TFP and have been doing some research on SWG’s. I have talked to a few pool companies in the area and they seem to recommend Hayward AquaRite, Pentair IC20 or AutoPilot. Any opinions about these systems or recommendations about what would work best for our pool?

Thanks

Are you looking to install it yourself? It’s a pretty easy installation.

look at discountsaltpool site to compare brands. Lots of people here, including myself, have circupool. They are good quality and still offer a great warranty if you self install
Just make sure to buy one that’s made for twice your pool size

look at discountsaltpool site to compare brands. Lots of people here, including myself, have circupool. They are good quality and still offer a great warranty if you self install
Never thought about doing it myself but if it’s not too difficult I’m sure I could figure it out. I see they are running a promo that you can upgrade for $1 more to the next size up unit. Would you recommend the Edge 40 for $840 or the RJ-45 for $970?

Never thought about doing it myself but if it’s not too difficult I’m sure I could figure it out. I see they are running a promo that you can upgrade for $1 more to the next size up unit. Would you recommend the Edge 40 for $840 or the RJ-45 for $970?

Either would do a great job, I like the Edge personally because it's a "newer" design but lots of folks here like the RJ.
The RJ will show salt levels but I just bought a test kit for $20 and use it. I didn't think it was worth the extra $130 since you set the salt levels and pretty much leave it alone...I hope :)

L,

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, but I never recommend using the IntelliChlor IC20, 40, or 60) unless you have a Pentair automation system.

I have never used a CircuPool SWCG, but I do know that we have a lot of members using them and almost all comments are very positive.

The main key to understand, is that cells are rated when running at 100% output and 24/7... You don't want to do that, so we always recommend that a cell must be rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool. This allows you to run at a lower output, so that you can increase it if necessary.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the comments. How does the Hayward AquaRite system compare (Other than more expensive) to the Circupool systems? None of the pool contractors that I called at round here recommended that brand so I’m wondering if they would be willing to install it if I buy it elsewhere. I see the Circupool system carries a much better warranty. How is their service? If I install the system myself, how difficult is the electrical hookup? Do you need a timer?

If you have worked with PVC pipe and minor electrical, installation is not difficult. Unless you would run your pump and swg 24/7 you would need a timer. Most use a pad of 15 or so minutes on start and stop to run the swg inside of the pump time. The circupool rj series (and maybe others)can run on 110 or 220 and is direct wire to the breaker box or timer. Cells can be mounted vertically for tight spaces on an equipment pad.

Reactions: markayash
I’m pretty handy so I’m sure I could figure out the installation but with 2 young kids, I don’t get a lot of free time to work on stuff like that. I will check with the local pool companies about installing a unit I don’t buy from them.

I have read other threads recommending you stick with the same manufacturer as your pump for “automation”. How important is this and why do I want/need it? If so, would it make more sense to stick with Hayward since I have one of their VS pumps?

L,
Welcome to TFP!

All the brands you are considering make great products. With your brand automation you get full control via their app or remote. SWG units have two control functions % power and runtime. With the same brand automation you can control both remotely. If you go with a different brand you can only control % power at the controller mounted on the wall. Runtime can be controlled remotely. Over the life of the cell you have to adjust % power but it happens slowly. Maybe once per year or less. I've had my Circupool RJ unit for a year at 45%. No signs I need to change yet.

Warranty is important because we still see early cell failures after a couple years of operation and it's an expensive part. I chose Circupool based on the cost per # of chlorine, warranty, and reputation here. That said, there are a LOT of Hayward installations, and we have many people here that seem very happy with all the brands you mentions.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I’m pretty handy so I’m sure I could figure out the installation but with 2 young kids, I don’t get a lot of free time to work on stuff like that. I will check with the local pool companies about installing a unit I don’t buy from them.

Honestly, unless you need to do something super fancy with the plumbing or electrical it’s pretty quick and easy to install a SWG. I just installed my Circupool RJ-30+ and it was about 45 minutes from UPS dropping off the box until it was installed. You need to plumb the cell and flow switch into your return plumbing, mount the control unit, connect the power cable to power, then plug the cell and flow switch into the control unit and that’s it.

Full disclosure, I did spend a bit of time before it got here looking through the manual (it’s available online) and planning where I would put the cell and how I would connect it to power and such, so I was ready to go with the install as soon as it arrived. But even so it’s really not a major project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark,

Yep, they were just coming out at the time I did mine. A little higher priced with slightly less chlorine output but also an extra year of warranty. The hard sell for pool expenses with Sr. Management drove me to the RJ plus. The Core series are definitely even simpler to install and it looks like replacement cells are cheaper although if you adjust for chlorine output they're about the same.

SWG technology and models definitely evolving a lot right now.

Chris

I know, but considering a "pool guy" will charge you $150 or more to install might be a good option for some. I was concerned about it blowing up and Discount salt assured me with the new technology no water flow no chlorine is being made and it's relies on more then a simple pressure switch? I ran mine off a different breaker but same panel
Jury is still our on that I think but hopefully with more technology the days of exploding SWG are history.

I know, but considering a "pool guy" will charge you $150 or more to install might be a good option for some. I was concerned about it blowing up and Discount salt assured me with the new technology no water flow no chlorine is being made and it's relies on more then a simple pressure switch? I ran mine off a different breaker but same panel
Jury is still our on that I think but hopefully with more technology the days of exploding SWG are history.
Mark,

Yes agreed, installation cost changes things potentially a lot. Often my DIY choice is driven by Sr. Management and small pool budget others have... plus my proclivity to tinker that makes my choice downright wrong for many. Thanks for adding that clarification.

I love Circupool products, price, and warranty but I'm really doubtful the internal switch is really reliable enough since failure can be pretty catastrophic. But that's just me. I'm sure there are many (probably more) installations that rely on the internal safety device.

Chris

Mark,

Yes agreed, installation cost changes things potentially a lot. Often my DIY choice is driven by Sr. Management and small pool budget others have... plus my proclivity to tinker that makes my choice downright wrong for many. Thanks for adding that clarification.

I love Circupool products, price, and warranty but I'm really doubtful the internal switch is really reliable enough since failure can be pretty catastrophic. But that's just me. I'm sure there are many (probably more) installations that rely on the internal safety device.

Chris
I get it, but you would think Discount salt would have heard if there are a lot of issues..Not saying it can't and hasn't happened..I take precautions like turning off mine if I touch the pump power.

Really if you are able to do it yourself, Circupool is about the best choice overall. No "pool guy" will ever recommend it and might talk them down because the other brands out there won't warrant a system unless a "pool guy" does it for you. So the Circupool cells are the DIY brand and the pool installers will never like that. You are looking roughly at 2.5-3x the price installed for the name brands. My understanding is that the Pentair cells are not all that great and overly complicated. Hayward gets good reviews. As does the AutoPilots. It's up to you, really.
Everyone seems to love Pentair for everything else though... but of course I have Hayward equipment...

Reactions: TimTucker
Really if you are able to do it yourself, Circupool is about the best choice overall. No "pool guy" will ever recommend it and might talk them down because the other brands out there won't warrant a system unless a "pool guy" does it for you. So the Circupool cells are the DIY brand and the pool installers will never like that. You are looking roughly at 2.5-3x the price installed for the name brands. My understanding is that the Pentair cells are not all that great and overly complicated. Hayward gets good reviews. As does the AutoPilots. It's up to you, really.
Everyone seems to love Pentair for everything else though... but of course I have Hayward equipment...
Agreed. Circupool seems to be the most logical solution and the reviews are great, but mostly on this site, which makes sense as most are DIY pool owners. Had I not come across this site, I probably would have never looked at Circupool. I did come across A LOT of bad reviews on Pentair Intellichlor SWG cells, evidently due to early failure and poor reliability of the system. You would think they would have addressed that by now as it seems to have been an issue going back many years. As you said, Hayward and Autopilot seem to get good reviews across the board.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus

That site is the main distributor of Circupool in the US. So I’m not so sure I would trust there high ratings for Circupool SWG.

That site is the main distributor of Circupool in the US. So I’m not so sure I would trust there high ratings for Circupool SWG.
If you look into them at all you quickly figure out that Cicrupool is a big storage warehouse in Houston by the Airport and the DSP is not too far away in a standalone storefront office industrial building in Waller, TX that has a sign in front of it that says "PoolBids.com" All three of those companies are under the same ownership. There is a post on the old pool board from about seven years ago from the owner at the time explaining it but they are a very small company and yes, they are reselling these units from other manufacturers. They used to see CompuPool stuff from Australia but supposedly that connection is now gone. I still suspect they are a very small company still but all reports are that they honor their warranties and they ship super fast (I can verify that). So unless you think buying from a very small company that has been doing this for a fairly long time (over ten years) is an inordinate risk, you are fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.