SWG questions

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Why doesn't a company make a SWG that monitors chlorine? I have seen wireless monitors and it seems it wouldn't be that hard to have a floating sensor or an inline one and have the SWG adjust when needed :)
If someone wants to steal my idea and build one just send me a beta!

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an inexpensive reliable free chlorine monitor. It is possible for an automated system to measure the chlorine level in water, but the probes used for it are quite expensive and don’t last long. I’m not sure what sort of wireless monitors you have seen, but they likely monitor pH or ORP or something other than free chlorine.

Water Guru does a decent job of monitoring FC and pH. It’s not designed yet to remotely automate an SWG but as a web-based monitoring tool, it works well enough.

Real-time adjustments of an SWG are wholly unnecessary. If a pool is chemically balanced and properly operated, FC changes slowly enough that only seasonal adjustments (maybe as much as once or twice per month) are necessary. There is this mistaken belief that FC is going to suddenly drop so fast that a person won’t catch it in time and the pool will turn into a swamp overnight. That simply does not happen. I have operated my pool for over 7 years now doing nothing more than daily spot checks and weekend tests with adjustments to my SWG in seasonal stages. I have never once had a green pool. Automation systems that drive SWG changes (products like the IntelliChem or Sense N Dispense) tend to cause far more headaches and issues then just taking the minuscule amount of time each to do it yourself.

Technology isn’t always your friend...

Why doesn't a company make a SWG that monitors chlorine?

Markayash
My puresilk system does just that. The Chromatalyzer samples the water at an adjustable time and then turns the SWCG ON if the sample is below your Setpoint and turns it OFF if its over your setpoint. I found i only needed around 3hrs somtimes less of FC generation in 24hrs. It also checks pH and will add acid if required . They dont make this model anymore. And yes these do fail at times. I still use my test kit to double check the FC.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.