SWG Plaster Pool, balancing water, first official year open

Sep 16, 2017
West Hartford, CT
Pool was built last year end of August, was open until November. Plaster so we used chlorine pucks, never activated SWG and monitored pH (constantly adding acid).

Opened in April and just starting on my own using the TF-100 test kit.

Total gallons: 15200
Levels:
FC: 5.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 110
CH: 325
CYA: 52

Last week my CH was around 125 so I added calcium to increase to current 325, my CYA was also low (though I read it incorrectly and added the wrong amount. luckily I added a small amount and CYA increased only slightly).

After adding CH/CYA for whatever reason, my chlorine levels dropped to 0.5. I thought I added too much CYA but I didn't. Was freaking out, so I used pool math and added a gallon of bleach. This brought my FC back up. I'm monitoring my SWG and it is set at 55%.

So after all that fun stuff, I'm hesitant to add more CYA to get to recommended TFP levels of 60-80 thinking I'm going to screw up my FC levels, and also I need to raise CH to 400?

Curious as to all of your thoughts/recommendations.

TIA!

Jay

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Adding CYA should have no impact of your current FC levels. That was not the cause of it dropping.
Higher CYA should better protect the chlorine from the sun and at the same SWG setting, I would think the FC level would rise a bit.

There is not really any reason to raise your CH more at this point.

I'm monitoring my SWG and it is set at 55%.

How many hours are you running your pump? Also, is the motor a: single, two or variable speed motor?
Two speed and variable speed motors have low flow settings, which 'may' cause low flow issues with your SWCG flow switch. Generally, if the SWCG lights are all green, then your switch is likely working.
The more you run your pump (hours) the more chlorine the SWCG generates (this, coupled with the percentage).
Lastly, the warmer your pool water gets, and the more sun it gets....it will require either A) more pump run time, or B) higher cell percentage, or C) Both.

Here is a handy dandy spreadsheet that I personally use: https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/122980-SWG-Run-Time-Calculator

How do I measure replacement FC? Test FC at night, then again in the morning before filter turns on?

The easiest way i've found to 'dial in' a SWCG, is to use bleach (Walmart has liquid chlorine in their pool section: do NOT use any bleach will fillers, easy pour or anything else fancy...use liquid chlorine or just plane old bleach) according to PoolMath to get my FC levels at my target level. Then, use that spreadsheet to adjust my SWCG % and pump run times. Typically, i shoot for a slightly higher daily FC demand and then dial it back if necessary. Essentially, either A) run the pump longer at same SWCG % or B) increase SWCG % and leave pool pump at current run time.
You may find that you are losing 2.5 ppm or higher, depending on the factors.
Once you get it 'dialed in' you'll find that it is much easier to maintain the correct FC according to your CYA [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].
On a personal note, my CYA was at 50 and i was finding that my FC was dissapearing too quickly, so i'm (slowly) boosting that number up to 70, which is what TFP recommends. As your CYA increases (do not go above 80) the less your FC will dissipate due to UV/Sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.