SWG newbie - will I need 820 lbs of salt?

Perhaps. But also, I drain mine for the winter. Fresh water every spring. To date, I have only left 6-8 inches in to freeze over winter. So, 85% new water each spring. Lots up here just unhook the hoses and let that much drain. That would mean I'd only have to refill 50% or so. I might try that, especially with trying to drop TA and increase salt for the SWG. If I can preserve some of the work that went into the water, it would be nice!

Andrew

Reactions: mguzzy
I am buying my first load of salt. I tested at 200 ppm with 28000 gal pool looks like I need about 20 bags of salt. I plan on putting some in and testing on the way. How many 40lb bags should I put in at a time? When should I test the salt level?

I don't know what to do about the calcium hardness and should I wait another day to see if the cya goes up a little on it's own?

I seem to have brought most of my numbers to about where they belong.
CH -50
LSI - 0.9
cya -maybe a little less that 30
ph -7.6
chlorine -2.5
alk -80
salt -3600
temp -66F

I never tested for calcium hardness before and the tfp calculator recommends 38lbs of calcium chloride. Does this sound right?
I have to update my details, its the same 18x36 pool with a new vinyl liner, intellipro vsf pump, and I will be installing a rj60+
Thank you.

Check your profile in Poolmath as with a vinyl liner pool, it should not be showing your CH as out of range. LSI does not come from Poolmath, it is an outdated calculation based on steam boilers. And is not applicable to vinyl liner pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To add to Marty, CSI is what you want. For the most part, CH doesn't matter with vinyl. But it does matter with the SWG. You want it as low as possible so you don't get calcium deposits on the salt cell. High CSI is a problem for any pool. Too low matters for Plaster and somewhat for fiberglass. For Vinyl, Ideal is 50 to 550. Poolmath says -1.09 CSI, based on your numbers.
I run my CSI as close to -0.3 as I can without going under, to keep the SWG clean as I have a Plaster Pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.