SWG newbie - will I need 820 lbs of salt?

adl6009

Mar 19, 2015
Long Island, NY
-I am installing a new liner and a new circupool rj60. Can I assume a salt level of zero to start? (using Long Islands finest hose water to fill).
- 41 bags sounds like alot, does that sound right? Where's a good place to buy that much salt ? (as per the pool calculator, 28000 gal pool and I need 3500ppm.)
- H Depot has Solar Naturals Water Softener Salt Crystals Is this good stuff? The web site says I cant get it delivered so I have to check on that.
- I am looking at the taylor k-5005 salt test kit, or is there a better choice out there?
-Thanks for the help.

No. Do NOT assume zero salt. Get your kit, and test first. You will probably be surprised at the salt level that already exists in your pool. When i switched to SWG, I think my salt reading, BEFORE ADDING ANY SALT, was around 1500ppm.

As said above, Do Not assume that it's zero.
The best thing is to get a salt test kit, but in the mean time, Run a sample of your fill water to the nearest pool store and have them test it for salt. Don't let them sell you anything just get the readout for salt level.

Don't add all 820 lbs at once. Your pool gallons may be off.

Add 2/3 and let it circulate and dissolve for a few days. The test using your K-1766 test kit.

Then sneak up on your target with a few doses. Testing in between.

Your RJ60 should start generating by the time you get 3,000 ppm of salt.

Reactions: aussieta
Remember that your SWG should be entirely OFF for those days that you're adding/mixing in/dissolving salt. Don't turn it on until a day after all has been added (that 2/3) and its been dissolved for a day.
Use Liquid chlorine to raise your FC up to the desired level and then when you turn the SWG on it will maintain that level.

Maddie :flower:

Good idea to test the water now to get an idea before the fill.

I saw the k-1766 but I wanted a test kit for all the other stuff too, chlorine, ph, alkalinity and all that. I wasn't looking k2005, but rather k5005.

Thanks.

Good idea to test the water now to get an idea before the fill.

I saw the k-1766 but I wanted a test kit for all the other stuff too, chlorine, ph, alkalinity and all that. I wasn't looking k2005, but rather k5005.

Thanks.

You want one of these 👇
Taylor k2006c salt (includes k1766)
Tf-pro Salt (includes k1766)
or
the Tf-100 + k-1766 @ tftestkits.net
- not the k2005.
they contain the fas-dpd test .
The k2005 doesn’t have fas-dpd. So it only allows u to test up to 10ppm of chlorine which means if you need to slam or test above 10ppm for any reason you would have to purchase that test separately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On your other question, yes, the Solar Salt Crystals (for water softener) work well for the pool. The true pool salt, the crystals are slightly smaller and take a little (a few minutes) less time to dissolve. They are also 50% more expensive. We all use water softener salt.

To dissolve the salt, pour it in the shallow and then use your pool brush to move it from one side to the other until it is dissolved. Run the pump 24/7 at a higher speed (if VSP) to help disperse the salt water. If you can, adjust the pool flow to be more from the pool main drain, as salty water is heavier than fresh water. This will speed the mixing. If you have a pool cleaner or pool robot, turn it on too, as it will help mix the water. Children in the pool helps as well, but it may not be warm enough for you yet.

The Diamond Crystal® Solar Naturals® Water Softener Salt Crystals from menards is slightly cheaper and comes in 50 lb bags.

I went for the actual pool salt. Locally, it was only $1 per bag higher than softener salt. And some of the softener salt I saw had additives listed to "clean your water softener" "extend your water softener" etc. So I chickened out and spent the extra $1/bag.

My well water is 1400ppm salt out of the tap. So don't assume 0!

Andrew

My well water is 1400ppm salt out of the tap. So don't assume 0!

Yeah, drinking the well water is doable in a hurry, but we have distillers in both houses for drinking/cooking. Can definitely tell when there is something wrong with the distiller!!

Don't need much soap in the shower though! Very soft water!

No water softener. Just an iron filter.

Andrew

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.