Bronze Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
SE Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I put my response here to not derail the OP's thread for help :)

Question:
The life of a cell is from the amount of CL generated, not the hours run or the water flow through it. If your pool water volume needs 1 lbs of chlorine a day it does not matter if the cell generates it in 6 hours or 24 hours. SWG's egenrate chlorine slowly so you have a minimum runtime to get the desired CL generated. 6 hours at 100% or 12 hours at 50% or 24 hours at 25% all use the same amount of cell life.
From the Pentair Manual:
"When set at 80%, the cell is allowed to rest 20% of the time while the pool pump is running prolonging the cell life."

The way I understand it:: the hours the cell runs is the cell life, that is why an oversized cell lasts longer, because it is run for shorter period of time to achieve desired chlorine levels.

Actual generating time is what determines the cell life.

Water flow can erode the ruthenium oxide coating over time. So, pump runtime and water gpm can have an effect, but probably a relatively minor effect.

Acid washing can take off the ruthenium coating. So, it should only be done if necessary.

Reactions: splashpad
The way I understand it:: the hours the cell runs is the cell life, that is why an oversized cell lasts longer, because it is run for shorter period of time to achieve desired chlorine levels.

The word "runs" can be interperted in different ways. It is better to differentiate between when the cell is powered on, which does not effect the cell life, versus when the cell is generating which subtracts from the cell life.

The word "runs" can be interperted in different ways. It is better to differentiate between when the cell is powered on, which does not effect the cell life, versus when the cell is generating which subtracts from the cell life.
How can those 2 be separate?

There is only one way to define cell run time. The amount of hours the cell is producing chlorine. Also referred to as run/production/operating/generating time.

Time the cell is powered but not producing (the 20% time of an 80% setting) is an incorrect interpretation of a cell "running".

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.