Mlt153

Nov 15, 2016
Harrisburg, Pa
I am having trouble getting my chlorine numbers up. This is my fourth year with the pool and first time having this issue. I have use this website for most of my pool knowledge and could really use some help understanding this. Here are my current readings:
FC 1.77, TC 2.03, PH 7.2, TA 111, Calcium 200, CYA 22 (currently working to raise), salt 3,200
32,000 gallon pool with a zodiac fusion soft salt cell that has been set at 100% for the past 24 hours. Pump is running about 10 hours. Thank you for any guidance!

Use liquid chlorine to raise FC.

Those results are not from a proper test kit. How do you test your water chemistry?

Report test results from your own test kit. We will not provide guidance based on pool store test results.

Just an FYI, Hayward is insisting the phosphates can and do leave a biofilm on the blades of their Aquarites, limiting chlorine production.

Part of that makes sense to me (years ago phosphates were added to city to limit corrosion from acidic water) and the other part screams warranty claims reductions.

Just an FYI, Hayward is insisting the phosphates can and do leave a biofilm on the blades of their Aquarites, limiting chlorine production.

Part of that makes sense to me (years ago phosphates were added to city to limit corrosion from acidic water) and the other part screams warranty claims reductions.
Our pool has always had high phosphate levels and I’ve never noticed an impact on our Aqua Rite‘s performance In the 17 years we’ve had it. Perhaps under some specific circumstance it may happen, but frankly, I think it’s just an excuse to get out of warranty claims.

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
Ok, I just retested so hopefully this helps. Free chlorine is showing 0 and combined chlorine is less than .5. Its almost clear. Here are the results

FC 0
CC less than .5
Ph 7.3
Alk 70
Calcium 210
CYA 30 (still working on raising)
SWG has been running at 100% since yesterday.

I am not sure if I need to SLAM or if I have a SWG issue.

Would you mind terribly putting your equipment in your signature... that will make it easier for us to glance at your specs to make recommendations.
There is a good chance you have the beginnings of an algae bloom brewing in there. And your SWG is just keeping it at bay and leaving nothing left to show any FC... hence Marty's request for a OCLT... make sure you turn off your SWG the night that you run it so the results on skewed by a another source of chlorine.

Thank you, I just tried to add a signature so hopefully it will work. My Taylor test kit doesn’t include the Fas-dpd test which it looks like I need for the overnight chlorine test. I will look around for that test. I sincerely appreciate your guidance because I was just dumbfounded with this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I left the pump run all night with the swg at 100% and just texted at 6:45am. FC still is at 0 so that tells me it’s definitely something with the SWG not producing chlorine. There are no error messages. I’m not sure how to clean or inspect the cell but will research. Thanks!

The easiest way to see if your SWG cell is producing is put the cell in a cycle where you know it is generating (according to the controller) and then capture some water from a return using a tube. If you test the water and there is no chlorine then the cell is not producing anything. If there is chlorine then its possible its getting consumed by algae in the pool.. and an OCLT is in order next. (A quicker and dirtier check is to put a test strip (if you have any left over from your pre-TFP days) in front of return and see if it registers any chlorine).

Reactions: DLip
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.