Prosper, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I hover around 2800ppm salt in my pool. Until about 18 days ago, at 32% SWG I've been getting a steady increase of chlorine. Today I just did my FC/pH test (I do this every 2-3 days) and FC is actually going down. It's at 4.5 right now and my SWG is at 39%. I know last week we had temps exceeding 100F, so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.

I'm not sure if this is normal or if my salt levels / SWG has an issue. I can of course bump my SWG higher, but I wanted to check in first. I'm still learning!

PoolMath logs are available if you would like to view them.

You show your CYA tested 5 days ago at 70. Watch that as it can create more FC consumption.
Do an OCLT one night just to check.
Let us know if it continues to be an issue.

Reactions: voidpointer
And using more chlorine as the sun angle increases which causes increased UV.

We are at peak sun angle and UV in most of the USA. So FC loss from sun angle UV and CYA degradation from heat are reaching the maximum. This is a normal annual cycles that requires monthly SWG % increases into the summer and then decreases into the fall.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm not crazy to adjust the SWG percentage every few weeks? I thought maybe I was micromanaging too hard (and I know I've been told I'm over thinking pool chemistry a lot, which I don't disagree with). I typically look at my 2-3 day FC deficit, divide it by the number of days, and increase my % to cover/match that daily PPM loss.

Ok so I'm not crazy to adjust the SWG percentage every few weeks? I thought maybe I was micromanaging too hard (and I know I've been told I'm over thinking pool chemistry a lot, which I don't disagree with). I typically look at my 2-3 day FC deficit, divide it by the number of days, and increase my % to cover/match that daily PPM loss.
And come September you will likely be adjusting % down for FC gains.

I thought peak sun angle corresponded to the summer equinox, which was June 21st. So pretty close, but we are now slowly inching away from peak sun each day.
Autocorrect changed at to not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I'm not crazy to adjust the SWG percentage every few weeks?
No two seasons are the same. Last year was 8 degrees above average and a drought with blazing sun. My SWG stayed at my previous peak level from June to September. Every other year it went 2 to 6 weeks between adjustments. Most times it was about a month.

You're doing GREAT. Don't get caught underproducing in the first half of the season as the UV demand goes up. For the back half, you'll end up over producing everytime the UV demand decreases. You'll test and see a 15 (?). Whoopsies. Lol. It's a great problem that will never gift you a swamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.