FC 1.0
CC 0.0
PH 7.2
TA 50
CH 100
CYA 50
Salt 3600 (by drop test), 3100 at the SWG Control box
Temp 80

We have had a lot of rain and sun this week and we have been draining the water level and vacuuming - do you think its possible The SWG is failing?

Liz

So after cleaning all the filters and the SWG cell I’m now getting an error that there is a
“possible front board service condition or unit not correctly wired to 120 VAC”

have calls out to several technicians but what should I do in the meantime for sanitation?

If you're getting error 170, try unplugging the trisensor to see if the error goes away.

If it does, the trisensor is probably bad.

How old is the system and cell?

Here is a test procedure that you can do.

Disconnect the flow salinity temp sensor from the circuit board. Press and hold the test buttons marked salinity and R-temp.

While still pressing the test buttons press the ‘Salinity’ key (‘C’) on the front cover of the unit. The LCD should read 2.8 gpl*.

While still holding the two circuit board test buttons press the ‘Pool Temperature’ key (‘D’). It should read 75° F or 24° C.

Next, press and hold the board ‘H-Temp’ test button, and at the same time press the ‘Salinity’ key (‘C’) together with the ‘Chlorine Production Rate’ arrow down key (‘A’) on the front cover of the unit. The LCD should read 91° F or 33° C .

If the readings are correct then the circuit board is O.K. and the problem is with the flow sensor.

On the other hand if the readings are different then it indicates that there is a problem with the circuit board.

Probably a bad trisensor. Try unplugging it to see if the 170 code goes away.

What is the software revision number that's printed on the CPU on the circuit board?

What are the first four characters of the cell and box serial numbers?

Does the trisensor have the inline module?

If yes, is it set to program A or B?

Until you get it working again, you should use liquid chlorine.

Thank you @JamesW I did all your steps above, and all the results read as noted so I assume that means it is the Flow sensor - so ordering a new one, I just need to plug it in and that should solve it? Is it still producing chlorine? I’m assuming take production to zero and add bleach until I get the new sensor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, all indications point to a bad trisensor.

At 5 years old, I suspect that the cell is probably near the end of its life.

Let's see what happens with the new trisensor and go from there.

Software revision is 02110A10 as shown on the CPU.

If the number is 02110A10 or 01220A15, you use program A, otherwise you use program B on the trisensor module.

Last edited:
New flow sensor arrived today, I’ve installed it and the flow errors are gone. It’s reading that the salt level is too high at 4100 but my drop test shows it’s 3400 still high but I’m concerned about the variance between the two. Also, everything I’ve read says don’t turn the SWG on if the salt level is too high. Current test results:

FC. 5.5
pH. 7.6
TA. 55
CH. 100
CYA. 70
Salt. 3400/4100
Water Temp 76

Press the “Salinity” button and hold it until it beeps 3 times. The system will beep when you push it and then at 5 seconds and again at 10 seconds. Release the button after the 3rd beep.

• Press and release the “Temperature “ button within 5 seconds to enter the salinity calibration screen.

• The system will display the salinity reading, press the up arrow to increase the reading and the down arrow to decrease the reading.

• When the proper reading is reached press the “Temperature” button within 5 seconds to store it in memory.

As long as you're sure that the salinity test is accurate.

The K-1766 drop test is reliable.

You can test the salinity with a good meter if you want to verify.

I would change the salinity down to 3,800 ppm (3.8 gpl) for now to get the system running.

You can recalibrate later if you want to based on any new testing.

Note that salinity readings are +/- about 400 for any test. So, don't worry about the numbers matching exactly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.