SWG choice, Hayward vs. Pureline

mwolters

Apr 23, 2018
Ada
I am looking into converting my pool to salt water chlorination. 18,000 gallon 16x32, 1-1/2" plumbing with a 1hp Hayward Super Pump. I'm looking at these two units, for the slight price difference I'm leaning towards the AQR15, but wondering if I'm missing something? Posting links, I read through the forum rules and this appears to be allowed:

Hayward AQR15 $869.99
Hayward AQR15 Aqua Rite In-Ground Chlorine Generator up to 40,000 Gallons

Pureline Heavy Duty PL7707 $749.99
PureLine Pool Salt System 40,000 Gallons Heavy Duty - PL7707 - INYOPools.com

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
m,

I know very little about the PureLine, but if INYO is selling it, I'm sure it is good...

That said, my guess is that Hayward salt systems make up 50% or more of the salt systems that are out there..

If this were my choice, and I did not have an automation system, I would go with the Hayward..

Thanks,

Jim R.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
My first instinct is to question if you've compared the cost of replacement cells? That *may* sway your decision.

Otherwise they seem fairly interchangeable to me?? I don't recall any particular complaints made about Pureline. I do like that they're made in the USA, but that's just me.

Maddie :flower:

homegameroom

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2015
Sunrise,FL
I pulled the trigger and bought the Pureline last night after lots of internet surfing and investigation. I like the fact that it is the same (dimensionally) as the Hayward, so I'm relatively confident that there will be a good parts supply chain in the future. I went with the non-heavy duty version; my cynical self thinks that you're only paying for the additional warranty, and I *think* i saw that it is prorated on Year 3 (don't quote me on that, but please feel free to comment and correct me!).

I bought the non-heavy duty 60,000 gallon version for my relatively tiny pool, so I'm planning on running it on low power and hoping for the best; I also only keep the pump on for ~6-8 hours a day in the summer and less than that in winter. Your mileage may vary... :)

Neemer

Gold Supporter
Oct 10, 2017
Mid-Atlantic
Nice question, thanks for the thread. I’m going to upgrade my cell to the T-15 and was wondering the same thing. Does the Pureline have the same unions as the Hayward?

Saturn94

Mar 11, 2015
Virginia
It looks like the Pureline 60k gal version is the same price as the 40k version. Seems like a no brainer to get the 60k if buying the Pureline unit.

EDIT: Ooops! Ignore the above, I was looking at the 40k HD version compared to the 60k regular version. I see the HD versions are rated for 10,000 hrs and the regular versions are rated for 5000 hrs. Get the HD version.

Last edited:

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marrietta Ga
I pulled the trigger and bought the Pureline last night after lots of internet surfing and investigation. I like the fact that it is the same (dimensionally) as the Hayward, so I'm relatively confident that there will be a good parts supply chain in the future. I went with the non-heavy duty version; my cynical self thinks that you're only paying for the additional warranty, and I *think* i saw that it is prorated on Year 3 (don't quote me on that, but please feel free to comment and correct me!).

I bought the non-heavy duty 60,000 gallon version for my relatively tiny pool, so I'm planning on running it on low power and hoping for the best; I also only keep the pump on for ~6-8 hours a day in the summer and less than that in winter. Your mileage may vary... :)
How do you line the pureline so far?

homegameroom

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2015
Sunrise,FL
I'm loving it! I was out of town and, when i was back home, was super busy. I only glanced at the pool briefly to make sure and didn't test anything at all. When I finally got around to testing the water, everything was fine, including the chlorine levels. I don't like neglecting the pool, but I'm VERY happy that everything was fine!

Reactions: markayash

mwolters

Apr 23, 2018
Ada
I ended up buying and installing the Pureline PL7700 ($650) as the Hayward had jumped in price before I pulled the trigger, and Pureline is now rating their standard cell at 7,000 hrs vs the previous 5,000. I was very happy with the equipment and the fact that it included fittings for both 2" and 1.5" plumbing (this was not stated in the description but it's a nice value add). I haven't haven't started generating with it yet as I also installed a new VS pump and want to get the circulation schedule somewhat dialed in before starting SWG, so I just have a dummy cell (pvc tube) installed for now.