SWG choice, Hayward vs. Pureline

Apr 23, 2018
Ada
I am looking into converting my pool to salt water chlorination. 18,000 gallon 16x32, 1-1/2" plumbing with a 1hp Hayward Super Pump. I'm looking at these two units, for the slight price difference I'm leaning towards the AQR15, but wondering if I'm missing something? Posting links, I read through the forum rules and this appears to be allowed:

Hayward AQR15 $869.99
Hayward AQR15 Aqua Rite In-Ground Chlorine Generator up to 40,000 Gallons

Pureline Heavy Duty PL7707 $749.99
PureLine Pool Salt System 40,000 Gallons Heavy Duty - PL7707 - INYOPools.com

m,

I know very little about the PureLine, but if INYO is selling it, I'm sure it is good...

That said, my guess is that Hayward salt systems make up 50% or more of the salt systems that are out there..

If this were my choice, and I did not have an automation system, I would go with the Hayward..

Thanks,

Jim R.

My first instinct is to question if you've compared the cost of replacement cells? That *may* sway your decision.

Otherwise they seem fairly interchangeable to me?? I don't recall any particular complaints made about Pureline. I do like that they're made in the USA, but that's just me.

Maddie :flower:

I pulled the trigger and bought the Pureline last night after lots of internet surfing and investigation. I like the fact that it is the same (dimensionally) as the Hayward, so I'm relatively confident that there will be a good parts supply chain in the future. I went with the non-heavy duty version; my cynical self thinks that you're only paying for the additional warranty, and I *think* i saw that it is prorated on Year 3 (don't quote me on that, but please feel free to comment and correct me!).

I bought the non-heavy duty 60,000 gallon version for my relatively tiny pool, so I'm planning on running it on low power and hoping for the best; I also only keep the pump on for ~6-8 hours a day in the summer and less than that in winter. Your mileage may vary... :)

It looks like the Pureline 60k gal version is the same price as the 40k version. Seems like a no brainer to get the 60k if buying the Pureline unit.

EDIT: Ooops! Ignore the above, I was looking at the 40k HD version compared to the 60k regular version. I see the HD versions are rated for 10,000 hrs and the regular versions are rated for 5000 hrs. Get the HD version.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger and bought the Pureline last night after lots of internet surfing and investigation. I like the fact that it is the same (dimensionally) as the Hayward, so I'm relatively confident that there will be a good parts supply chain in the future. I went with the non-heavy duty version; my cynical self thinks that you're only paying for the additional warranty, and I *think* i saw that it is prorated on Year 3 (don't quote me on that, but please feel free to comment and correct me!).

I bought the non-heavy duty 60,000 gallon version for my relatively tiny pool, so I'm planning on running it on low power and hoping for the best; I also only keep the pump on for ~6-8 hours a day in the summer and less than that in winter. Your mileage may vary... :)
How do you line the pureline so far?

I'm loving it! I was out of town and, when i was back home, was super busy. I only glanced at the pool briefly to make sure and didn't test anything at all. When I finally got around to testing the water, everything was fine, including the chlorine levels. I don't like neglecting the pool, but I'm VERY happy that everything was fine!

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ended up buying and installing the Pureline PL7700 ($650) as the Hayward had jumped in price before I pulled the trigger, and Pureline is now rating their standard cell at 7,000 hrs vs the previous 5,000. I was very happy with the equipment and the fact that it included fittings for both 2" and 1.5" plumbing (this was not stated in the description but it's a nice value add). I haven't haven't started generating with it yet as I also installed a new VS pump and want to get the circulation schedule somewhat dialed in before starting SWG, so I just have a dummy cell (pvc tube) installed for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.