Sorrento, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
The lid on the SWG has a small crack and is leaking. The pool is only 15 mos. old. In looking up the warranty, I discovered that Jandy says not to install the SWG and the Pop Ups on the same return line. Ours is on the same return line. ☹️ Builder says because we are in FL it most likely doesn’t apply but they will check with their local Jandy rep. I called Jandy and they were no help. I just want to have sure before this new SWG goes on this month to replace the broken one, that we have it plumbed correctly.
I’m attaching the page from Jandy Manual that says not to install SWG on same return as Pop Ups. I’m hoping someone here can tell me one way or the other.

Attachments

• 69E723B0-BD3A-43DC-9F1F-AE753C1D79B3.jpeg
    69E723B0-BD3A-43DC-9F1F-AE753C1D79B3.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 70752659-0028-458E-AE54-64539C8B4A11.jpeg
    70752659-0028-458E-AE54-64539C8B4A11.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 56
I think what the Pool Builder is implying is we don’t winterize here in FL but that’s not mentioned in the manual where it says not to install on same return as Pop Ups.

Of course, the builder has used the standard tiny "Florida" filter.

Below, you can see the filters used everywhere else and the "Florida" filter.

View attachment 433313
Yea I noticed that there were bigger filter options after the build 😡 but honestly, I’ve got bigger fish to fry right now. I just want to get the plumbing situation rectified.

Reactions: JamesW
I think what the Pool Builder is implying is we don’t winterize here in FL but that’s not mentioned in the manual where it says not to install on same return as Pop Ups.
The problem is the pressure from the in-floor cleaning system.

The cell is getting too much pressure.

Unless Jandy tells you directly that it is OK, do not put the cell on the same line as the in-floor cleaning system.

Reactions: vic49
Does your pool have separate returns that don't rely on the IFCS to return water to the pool?
If no separate returns, there is no option on where to install the SWG.

What kind of filter pressures and IFCS pressures are you seeing?
One would think that the SWG should be able to handle up to 30-ish PSI - which one should never see in normal operation.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in helping you without needing to ask for this info each time.
See my signature and others (except for @JamesW :eek:) for inspiration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not see that IFCS limitation in the Jandy Aquapure manual.

The TruClear cell is undersized for your 18,500 pool.

You should have your PB replace it with an Aquapure 1400 cell. The Aquapure is a more robust cell that can take the pressure.

Does your pool have separate returns that don't rely on the IFCS to return water to the pool?
If no separate returns, there is no option on where to install the SWG.

What kind of filter pressures and IFCS pressures are you seeing?
One would think that the SWG should be able to handle up to 30-ish PSI - which one should never see in normal operation.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in helping you without needing to ask for this info each time.
See my signature and others (except for @JamesW :eek:) for inspiration.
Yes there is a sheer descent that has a separate return so the SWG could have gone there. See photo. All infloors are tied into the pv3 module on the return side of the pump.
I’ll get back to you on the pressure.
Pardon my ignorance, but how do I get all the pool info into a signature? I have all my pool info in my account and assumed it would show up but I guess not.

I do not see that IFCS limitation in the Jandy Aquapure manual.

The TruClear cell is undersized for your 18,500 pool.

You should have your PB replace it with an Aquapure 1400 cell. The Aquapure is a more robust cell that can take the pressure.
Hopefully, I computed my gallons correctly. It’s a 15x33 3 ft at shallow end and 7.0 ft at deep end.

Last edited:
They both say 50 psi limit.

The cleaner is 22 psi max, which is 44% of the max rated pressure.

Maybe the issue is when switching zones where the pressure can spike briefly.

We have seen many reports of TruClear lids leaking even when not connected to a IFCS return.

The TruClear has a design problem. You can see the geometry and construction of the round Aquapure cell should handle pressure better then the Truclear cell.

For this pool I would not put another Truclear cell on. The Aquapure should work better.

Reactions: vic49 and JamesW
You can see the geometry and construction of the round Aquapure cell should handle pressure better then the Truclear cell.
The main issue with the AquaPure cell is leaking at the center pin, which is more likely at higher pressure.

The leak creates chlorine gas at the pin, which eats away the metal and causes the cell to fail.

It's a design defect as the pins should be permanently sealed and they should not use the current O-ring design.

They should mold the plastic around the pins for a permanent seal.

1657300842006.png

Yup, pick your poison.

Not a fan of Jandy SWGs.
I’m stuck with it since it’s a 15 month old build and being fixed under warranty.
I’m asking that the PB’s local Jandy rep ( they said they are checking with him) tell me it’s ok to have the SWG and IFCS on same return. This is a reputable long time PB and they have worked with me through several issues so I’m not trying to make a problem but I darn sure want it all done according to specifications.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.