SWG and Pop Ups on Same Return

It is best to run your SWG whenever your pump is running - high or low speed.

Adjust the SWG % for the total amount of pump runtime you have.
You’re talking to a layperson here that up until this thread had no earthly idea about SWG’s, Pump speeds, etc. Thanks to you guys I have learned a ton in just this one thread but now, how do I adjust the SWG %? This girl thanks you in advance.

I was never shown any of this at start up. We are going to take over care of the pool in the next month or so since discovering TFP. I’m getting test kit (or 2) and the Pool Math app and diving in. No pun intended. Thanks.

Ok. So here is where we currently are with the SWG replacement. It was replaced yesterday with the same model in the same location as the original. Jandy rep of course said it was ok where it is (in return line with IFCS) which we expected would be the response. Jandy will warranty this new one for the remaining time on the 3 year warranty. Original SWG failed at 15 months so we have 21 months left on this replacement SWG.
My question is: why the condensation on this new one? We never had that before on the other one? It certainly defeats the purpose of being able to view the cell.

And since in this thread you guys helped me finally utilize the dual speed pump and wiring up the clocks etc, is this a normal pressure reading when pump is running in low speed?

Attachments

• 354B3581-47B0-4649-877D-91FC2A4F7B8F.jpeg
    354B3581-47B0-4649-877D-91FC2A4F7B8F.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 4
On low speed, the cell can get some air or hydrogen gas buildup and some condensation.

Try switching to high for a minute or two to see if it clears.

As long as the cell works, I would not worry about it too much.

Reactions: vic49
I finally received a response from Fluidra as to why the SWG can not be installed on the same return as the IFCS. I had asked them in an email to explain because of the sentence written in bold on the instruction manual for the TruClear, back when the unit first failed.
I explained that I had a new TruClear put back in on the same line and that the rep said they would cover the replacement for the remainder of the 3 year warranty. They asked who that was.
I have communicated to the PB my answer from Fluidra.
The rep has answered that what Fluidra stated was correct and that they can go as far as covering it for another 24 months and the rest is between me and the PB.
Would have been nice if the rep had stated the issues with it being on the same return instead of me waiting for his company to state them.
I get that my PB does a load of business with him but I am stuck in the middle here and I’m the one that has to live with the error that may possibly result in further damage.
Does anyone here have experience with filing and errors and omissions claim, if my PB doesn’t make this right?
Here is the answer from Fluidra regarding why the Tru Clear can’t be on the same return as IFCS:

Hi Carol,
There are a few reasons they are not supposed to be installed on the same return line.
1. It can destroy the TruClear cell
2. It can deadhead the in-floor cleaner
3. The high concentration of chlorine can damage the in-floor cleaners

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
#2 and #3 make no sense to me but I'm not an expert, lol. How does the concentration of chlorine make any difference whether it is returned to the pool thru pvc pipes in the floor vs pvc pipes in the wall?
It doesn't, and the chlorine concentration out of a SWCG with proper water flow (enough to close flow switch) is only a couple ppm higher than the bulk water.

The only reason that makes sense is the water hammer effect from the in floor cleaning system can harm their cheap housing that leaks quite easily.

It doesn't, and the chlorine concentration out of a SWCG with proper water flow (enough to close flow switch) is only a couple ppm higher than the bulk water.

The only reason that makes sense is the water hammer effect from the in floor cleaning system can harm their cheap housing that leaks quite easily.
Hey, I’m just the messenger here lol. What matters is that Fluidra has made clear that it shouldn’t be installed on that return line and now the rep has agreed with it after he stepped in and replaced the damaged TruClear with another TruClear. This sucks because I’m stuck in the middle.
I once again stated that the easiest fix would be to install an Aqua Pure, which I learned in this thread from you guys. Yes it may also leak but it is not damaged by the IFCS. It beats re plumbing it to the sheer descent return, which would mean I would have to run the waterfall the entire time it’s chlorinating.

Reactions: TampaKathy
1. It can destroy the TruClear cell
The pressure rating of the cell is not exceeded, so how will the cell be “destroyed”?
2. It can deadhead the in-floor cleaner
That makes no sense.
3. The high concentration of chlorine can damage the in-floor cleaners
The chlorine concentration is not that high.

The chlorine rise from inlet to outlet from a SWG that produces 1 lb of chlorine gas per day is 4.2 ppm at 20 gpm or 2.1 ppm at 40 gpm.

1659449236107.png

Only the first reason would be a valid reason to void the warranty as the 2nd and 3rd reasons do not specify any adverse consequences for the cell.

In my opinion, you have a valid case to ask the builder to replace the Truclear with an Aquapure because they clearly violated the installation instructions from the manufacturer.

If they refuse, there are things you can do to try to force or pressure them into cooperating, but you will destroy your relationship with the builder.

You have to decide if this issue is worth being on adversarial terms with the builder.

Thanks James. I am doing my best to push for the install of the Aqua Pure and I have repeatedly said I appreciate that the PB has worked with me through issues. I really don’t want to destroy the relationship.

Last edited:
Update. Today the PB installed the AquaPure 1400 and removed the replacement TruClear. It has been a journey to say the least. This came about through advice here and persistence in doing the right thing. I reached out to Jandy directly and they were in agreement that the TrueClear SWG should not have been in the same return as the IFCS.
I suggested and asked nicely for the AquaPure 1400 since it did not have the same constraints as the TruClear. Thanks again for all the input.

Update. Today the PB installed the AquaPure 1400 and removed the replacement TruClear. It has been a journey to say the least. This came about through advice here and persistence in doing the right thing. I reached out to Jandy directly and they were in agreement that the TrueClear SWG should not have been in the same return as the IFCS.
I suggested and asked nicely for the AquaPure 1400 since it did not have the same constraints as the TruClear. Thanks again for all the input.
:goodjob:

Reactions: vic49 and JamesW
I'm late to the thread, but from the original question posted about putting the SWG in line with the pop up/returns, my pool has been plumbed that same way for 12 years. My SWG (I have two Jandy 1400's actually) is in line with the returns AND the Jandy/caretaker popups. It's never been an issue for me. But like everything, YMMV.

Reactions: vic49 and JamesW
I'm late to the thread, but from the original question posted about putting the SWG in line with the pop up/returns, my pool has been plumbed that same way for 12 years. My SWG (I have two Jandy 1400's actually) is in line with the returns AND the Jandy/caretaker popups. It's never been an issue for me. But like everything, YMMV.
At the beginning of this thread in my original posting, I asked about the Jandy TruClear SWG being installed in the same return line as the IFCS. The manual said not to install it on the same return. It was suggested by experts here, that I try to get the PB to install the AquaPure 1400 since it does not have the same constraints as the TruClear. After contacting Jandy and my PB, I finally got it swapped out. Would not have happened had I not sought advice here first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.