SWG and Pool Math question

sweetwhistle

Apr 28, 2020
Madison, GA
All of the kids camps were canceled for the summer due to the virus epidemic. We bought an 18’ x 48” Intex easy set pool to help appease the kids over the summer. I purchased the Intex SF60110 sand filter (2450 GPH) and the ECO5110 SWG (5g/hr chlorine output). I realize now that I probably purchased too small a SWG and too large a sand filter, but here we are. The purchase was done too hastily and before I became acquainted with TFP! The problem I have is when trying to set up the Pool Math app, there isn’t an option to directly input the 24 hr chlorine output number, neither is the model listed in the drop down. Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
I am coming up with 0.26 lb/day chlorine gas. You are right, we have nothing in the app that small.

You can use Effects of Adding Chemicals as in that you can enter a SWCG output.

@Leebo, any way to enter the SWCG output in Pool Setup? My app locks up when I try to change the number in Pool Setup (not using the drop down list).

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I checked my PoolMath app and saw that I entered the 24 hour chlorine output number, but I'm honestly not sure how the app uses it for anything. Your free chlorine (FC) level depends not just on the chlorine generator output, but lots of other things that are difficult to quantify and that the app can't know: Circulation rate and pump runtime, sun exposure, etc.

You might just have to do what I'm in the process of doing now with the new pool, which is to monitor FC levels frequently and tweak the SWG output accordingly. If your SWG can't keep up then a pool cover should help a lot. As a rough reference, when I leave my 18k gallon pool uncovered for an entire day with the SWG turned off I seem to lose about 2-3ppm of FC.

Your free chlorine (FC) level depends not just on the chlorine generator output, but lots of other things that are difficult to quantify and that the app can't know: Circulation rate and pump runtime, sun exposure, etc.
The app is calculating how much FC is added to the pool each day. That is only dependent on volume of the pool, SWCG generation and % setting, and run time.

The app is calculating how much FC is added to the pool each day. That is only dependent on volume of the pool, SWCG generation and % setting, and run time.
How does the app know the % setting and the run time? I don't see any way to enter that info. I'm probably missing something obvious.

When you touch the FC value it will take you to a screen to record a chemical addition. Touch the method drop down ( will be bleach to start, select SWG). Then put in pump run time, %, etc.

Reactions: kevinskii
All of the kids camps were canceled for the summer due to the virus epidemic. We bought an 18’ x 48” Intex easy set pool to help appease the kids over the summer. I purchased the Intex SF60110 sand filter (2450 GPH) and the ECO5110 SWG (5g/hr chlorine output). I realize now that I probably purchased too small a SWG and too large a sand filter, but here we are. The purchase was done too hastily and before I became acquainted with TFP! The problem I have is when trying to set up the Pool Math app, there isn’t an option to directly input the 24 hr chlorine output number, neither is the model listed in the drop down. Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance!

For now @sweetwhistle just go ahead and select the smallest SWG in the menu. We are aware of this issue and have a fix in place for the next update along with some other issues being patched up. The update will hopefully happen sometime next week pending approval by Apple.

I checked my PoolMath app and saw that I entered the 24 hour chlorine output number, but I'm honestly not sure how the app uses it for anything.

For the current time being the data isn’t being used to its maximum capability. As Marty said for now it’s simply showing you how much FC is being produced, but we’re working on expanding that in the future.

As Marty said for now it’s simply showing you how much FC is being produced, but we’re working on expanding that in the future.
Actually that is really handy. It took me a minute to find it after Marty pointed it out, but knowing the FC output will help me get the SWG dialed in much more quickly. It's a terrific app. Thank you!

@sweetwhistle for what it’s worth i had that small one on 5500gal pool & it would keep up with normal demand i just had sorta long run times - I don’t think i ever had to run it longer than 10 hrs though. I like to run my pump 10 to 12 hrs anyway to keep the pool skimmed. Also a warning ⚠️ don’t put as much salt as it says in the manual & do it in stages so u don’t over shoot it - around 2800 max or else it will alarm & you’ll be draining water. Get it started by raising your fc to target & If you have a heavy bather load like a party just supplement with liquid chlorine in advance & again after. Its just not designed to bring fc up to target from zero. Just start it @ about 6 or 7 hrs & see where it gets u. You’ll also be glad u have the bigger sand filter! It will allow u to run an intex auto cleaner if u wish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the great advice! When we set the pool up, I dutifully put the amount of sand prescribed by Intex in the pool and now the salt level is over 3600 ppm. I’ll drain the pool probably this weekend to try and get it down. That test was easy to do for a colorblind guy, but the others using the Taylor tests aren’t. I think my Cl levels are a little low, but the SWG seems to be doing its job even though it gives a high salt alarm occasionally. Thanks for the advice on the auto cleaner. The basic cleaner set has a lot to be desired. And thanks very much for the update on the app! That was a head-scratcher for sure. We got a solar cover when we bought the pool and I think that’s made a BIG difference in keeping the water clean and clear. I am so grateful to you all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.