Myrtle Beach, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hey guys, brand new pool owner here and I'm trying to understand some basics about how my SWG functions as the manuals don't really explain it.

My basic understanding is that for a set % of the the time the filter runs, the SWG produces chlorine. (If I'm wrong, please correct me.)

Here are a few other questions:

1) Does the SWG work only when the filter is on due to my timer settings or anytime I turn it on? If it runs even when the filter is on without a timer, how does it know when to produce chlorine?
2) Let's say I have my filter set to run 12 hours and my SWG is set at 50%, that means it should produce chlorine for 6 hours. How does it distribute that time over 12 hours? Does it run for 6 hours straight and then stop? Does it run for 30 mins per hour for all 12 hours? I can't find anywhere that explains how it works.
3) For the pool math app...what is my SWG producing? Is it "chlorine gas?"

I'm sure I will have more, but any help you can provide I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

The SWCG is able to generate chlorine any time it is on and the pump is running at a flow rate sufficient to close the flow switch. The SWCG should not be on without the pump running.
How the SWCG splits up its % setting depends on the manufacturer. I will have to look up the Hayward model but my Pentair is on a 300 second cycle. So at 50% it is generating for 150 seconds and then is not generating for 150 seconds.
Your SWCG is producing chlorine gas. You can look at the specs for your SWCG as to how much chlorine it can produce in 24 hours at 100% setting. Then use your pump run time and % setting to see how much chlorine it is producing each day. You enter the data in Poolmath in ounces of chlorine gas.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Did a search of the forum and it appears the Hayward units use a 180 minute cycle time.

T,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all of your salty questions, even if Myrtle does own your Beach... :shark:

SWCG's all have an on/off cycle, the exact time depends on the specific SWCG, but basically it cycles on/off for the entire time it is on.. The higher the percentage the longer the on cycle is.

Yes, Chlorine Gas...

The SWCG will only run when there is power going to it.. If you have a timer that controls the AC power going to the SWCG's power center, then the SWCG will only run when the timer is on.. It is very important to NEVER have power going to the SWCG, if the pump is not running...

So, from an operational point of the SWCG should work when the pump is running and any SWCG timer is also on..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Very, very, very helpful! Thanks for the reply, mknauss and Jimrahbe!

I've been reading and will continue to read the links. This site is so helpful for new pool owners. I have some buddies who keep trying to get me to use the companies they use to manager their pools, but this forum plus app make it so simple.

TDock - you are by far the best manager of your pool water chemistry. Stick with TFPC and you will enjoy a clean, sanitary, pool.

From the threads I found it is both, polarity reversal and cycle time. Seems to me with those units you would always want to run them in factors of 3 hours or your chlorine generation estimation could be way off.

T-15 cell can produce 1.4 lbs/day of CL. That is running the cell for 24 hours a day at 100%.

Run the cell for 12 hours a day at 50% and you get .7 lbs/day. Same as if you run the pump and cell for 24 hours a day ar 25% output.

Marty,
You mentioned that your Pentair IC40 has a 300 second (5 minute) cycle time. The Pentair manual gives the impression that the cycle time is 60 minutes. Even then this is much less than the 180 minute cycle time of the later Hayward versions or the 200 minute cycle time of the Circupool RJ series that I've been trying to understand real output with short winter cycles. Are you certain of that 300 second cycle time and where did you learn it from? Part of the reason I'm wondering is that my daughter has an IC40 system that I help her with. It seems that the shorter the cycle the better (and accurate with short pump times) a system would be and I don't understand why manufacturers would have cycles lasting multiple hours. Maybe it has to do with an IC clock and the long times are an easy software option. On the other hand, if the cycle time is short, perhaps that stresses the electronics more and makes some components more vulnerable to early failure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure they are saying what we are reading... At 50% my Pentair cell runs for 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off... so out of 4 hours it only produces chlorine for 2 hours, but it does not run for 2 hours or even one hour straight... But the politary does not change but every 3 or 4 hours..

I need to find someone that actually has a T15 cell and have them monitor their cell producing light and see how long it is actually on out of each hour.. It may very well be on for hours as a time, but that just does not seem to make sense to me...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The polarity reversal is at 3 hour cycles unless you have changed it on the Intellichlor. The 300 second cycle time for the on/off is from me timing it. My manual does not show that data.

Hiya TDockUSC , I just want to toss out a welcome to TFP and you'll have no trouble managing your own pool (better, and much cheaper) than those who use outside services. You'll know what's in your water and what is not. That's important!

Owner testing is the backbone of our methods. A good test kit (we only recommend two on the market) is a must.
Read thru Pool School. And then read parts of it again when you need fast answers. It is a goldmine for information. We'll supplement that when you post questions too.

Testkits --> www.tftestkits.net

A SWG is ideal for our climate. Mine is oversized so I can use it minimally yet get all the FC I normally need as well as extend its lifespan.

Again, welcome to TFP and we look forward to hearing more about your new pool!

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.