SWCG Thoughts/Recommendations (San Antonio)

No need to have the spa spilling over into the pool all the time. Doing this also causes aeration which tends to make the pH rise, requiring more frequent acid additions to control pH.
Doing as @mknauss suggests will minimize this.

Thanks @mknauss and @proavia ! Understand on the ph rise due to aeration. My spa is in spillover mode any time the pump is on for the pool. Based on a previous question (months ago), I have no way to run the pump/filter in the pool without the spa in spillover mode to minimize the aeration since my auxiliary buttons are all in use already. If that is an incorrect understanding of what is posted in that thread, I would love to know how to do that. That thread is here.

Based on Marty's suggestion, it sounds like I just need to program another time during the day to increase the pump for about 20 mins so that the spillover flows enough to get a good mix of water between the spa and pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
I understand that most recommend leaving the pump on 24/7 at the lowest setting that will "trigger" a flow indication from the flow switch
I would like to clarify this as well. It is true that the water flow be enough to trigger the flow switch for the SWG to operate. And for some people yes, they run their pump 24/7, but that's not universal. For example, I'm on the east side of SA out of the city in farmlands with no wind break and lots of junk in the air, so I do leave my pump running (low speed) 24/7 with a lower SWG % output. But some chose to run their pump in segments across the 24 hr period to let it rest for energy savings. Or in the case of automation, they leave the pump on a low rpm most of the time, then as Marty noted they increase the rpm a couple days a day to purge the spa and/or air out of the pump pot.

How long you elect to run your pump really depends on your situation. There is no one perfect/universal way. The links below has some good info as well.

Is it not possible with your automation to run in pool only mode most of the time and then run in spillover mode twice daily for 10-15 minutes?
Or would that require an upgrade of your Hayward Goldline Prologic automation?

Is it not possible with your automation to run in pool only mode most of the time and then run in spillover mode twice daily for 10-15 minutes?
Or would that require an upgrade of your Hayward Goldline Prologic automation?
If there is a way to do it with my current set-up, I haven't yet figured out how.

How critical is it that I get my CH down to the level stated in this article? I realize getting it down to within range is ideal. Current CH is in the 650 range. Fill water tests at 200. Per pool math, I would need to drain 56%. I am dreading that and we are under water restrictions though I have heard that the city likely wouldn't say/do anything.

Thanks again all!

Current CH is in the 650 range.
That's fine. It just means you'll need to keep a closer eye on the pH and TA during the warmer months. As water temps increase, the chance of scale increases, so be sure to keep a close eye on the pH and TA (mostly pH) and you'll do fine until we finally get some heavy rains. When we see some storms finally hit the SA area, you can think about lowering the water level in advance and let Mother Nature fill it with fresh stuff for free. :goodjob:

That's fine. It just means you'll need to keep a closer eye on the pH and TA during the warmer months. As water temps increase, the chance of scale increases, so be sure to keep a close eye on the pH and TA (mostly pH) and you'll do fine until we finally get some heavy rains. When we see some storms finally hit the SA area, you can think about lowering the water level in advance and let Mother Nature fill it with fresh stuff for free. :goodjob:
Thanks Pat!

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The owner and a tech from Pinch-A-Penny.
I bought my IC60 pentair from Leslie's online. It was a an okay/good deal just to have one. Did pinch have any heartburn installing yours? I need the swg and transformer installed FYI. I have a pinch local. Can you share your just install price? I just got my swg and transformer today. You can DM if feasible. I have no idea. Thanks.

I bought my IC60 pentair from Leslie's online. It was a an okay/good deal just to have one. Did pinch have any heartburn installing yours? I need the swg and transformer installed FYI. I have a pinch local. Can you share your just install price? I just got my swg and transformer today. You can DM if feasible. I have no idea. Thanks.
I sent you a DM

Reactions: ezchief
Glad everything is working!

I have a variable speed pump. I have it run about two hours in the early morning on a medium-high speed while my robot is running. I then run the pump the rest of the 24 hours at a low speed estimated to consume 150 to 200 watts just to keep the water moving.

I adjust the percent chlorine generation by trial and error to keep the FC where I want it given the pump settings. That is currently 20 percent.

Reactions: Burke_B
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.