Apr 20, 2022
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

I have a spa/pool combo with the spa spillover programmed to run any time the pump is running. I know this contributes to PH rise due to the aeration. My assumption is that it also increases the amount of water I lose to evaporation. Can I make some adjustments to my valves and/or programming so that the spill over only flows when we want it to but still maintain effective water mixture between pool and spa for filtration purposes via the spa drains and returns? Or, am I stuck with this arrangement and need to just deal with the ph rise and evaporation in other ways.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpeg
    IMG_0609.jpeg
    396.5 KB · Views: 7
From Hayward ProLogic - Further Reading

You can enable the Spa Spillover in the Configuration Menu.

To schedule the spa spillover to run automatically you use a GROUP function assigned to an AUX button. The GROUP function uses an AUX button and an AUX relay.

You either need to pick an AUX relay that has no equipment connected to it or if you have no empty AUX relays then you need to combine some equipment to create an empty a relay for the spillover function.

There is no way to decouple the AUX button for the spillover from the relay with the equipment it powers.

You can only assign one time period to each AUX button.

However if you have two extra AUX buttons and relays available, you can assign different time periods to each while having the same functions.

The only downside to a GROUP function is that it uses one of the AUX relays.

Thanks @ajw22 ! The previous owners left me the panel owners manual so I need to find it and study a bit more to see how to make the changes. I only have to AUX buttons and both are currently configured - one for the spa blower and one for the booster pump. One of the valve buttons control the other two water falls on the back wall. Maybe it is possible to tie the spa spill over to that button so that all water falls are either on or off?

I believe your Prologic panel should support more then two AUXs.

Post pics of the inside of your Prologic panel showing the wiring and relays.

Also see what stickers you have on the inside panel door and post pics of them.

Our spillover's always on, too. No controller on the spa return valve. Even looks the same.

I did some experiments turning the flow way down manually and noticed zero or slight change in pH rise. That's 7.5 to 8.0 in 9 days or so. Might have gone to 8. We like the sound of water so much there was no question of continuing this.

There have been some posts here saying that intentionally trying to raise pH with pumps jetting water into the air only help a tiny bit. That seems to agree.

Can't comment on evaporation; the pool is shaded so loses very little. Cheers.

I believe your Prologic panel should support more then two AUXs.

Post pics of the inside of your Prologic panel showing the wiring and relays.

Also see what stickers you have on the inside panel door and post pics of them.
Here are a couple of pics. Let me know if you need more or something else. Unfortunately, it looks like the PB didn't label anything on the inside of the panel door.

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpeg
    IMG_0612.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0613.jpeg
    IMG_0613.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 6
Our spillover's always on, too. No controller on the spa return valve. Even looks the same.

I did some experiments turning the flow way down manually and noticed zero or slight change in pH rise. That's 7.5 to 8.0 in 9 days or so. Might have gone to 8. We like the sound of water so much there was no question of continuing this.

There have been some posts here saying that intentionally trying to raise pH with pumps jetting water into the air only help a tiny bit. That seems to agree.

Can't comment on evaporation; the pool is shaded so loses very little. Cheers.
You bring up a good point. Maybe my assumptions on this are off and it really won't make enough of a difference to even bother with. I agree on hearing the sound of the water flow but, if this will help at all, I thought having it off at least when the pump is running at night might be of some benefit. Maybe not.

I definitely need to work on lowering my TA which should help with my PH rise.

I thought having it off at least when the pump is running at night might be of some benefit. Maybe not.

I definitely need to work on lowering my TA which should help with my PH rise.
Yeah great points. This is another reason I run the pump 11 hours. TA is also important. The TFP guidance that "anything over 50 is okay" turned out great. Things evened out at 60-70. Trying to keep it any higher was a crazy seesaw. Our fill water is very soft. It's a luxury.

Here are a couple of pics. Let me know if you need more or something else. Unfortunately, it looks like the PB didn't label anything on the inside of the panel door.
Looks like although you have four relays they are each hard wired to specific buttons leaving you the two AUXs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.