LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was at the Webinar last Saturday and appreciated picking up some SWCG fundamentals. Thanks to all involved. So now, I have a question.
My system is not automated, other than a Woods Timer on the pump. Circupool makes a unit (Circupool Universal 25) that can work independently, no automation necessary. I think I remember from the webinar it was said that for optimum safety the proper set-up would be a two-way safety shut-off for the SWCG to avoid the possibility of an explosion, Flow shut-off along with a Power Shut-off. The Universal 25 system utilizes a flow shut-off only. Would that be sufficient??

If I've misquoted the webinar information, or simply misunderstood what I heard, feel free to bring the hammer down..... :hammer: :brickwall::crazy:

SOME of the Circupool units do indeed say that you can rely on the flow switch. From the Universal 25 manual:
When used with variable-speed or other electronically controlled pumps, you may wish to wire the Control Module directly to your power source. This will allow the pump to determine when the Cell is energized or dormant by activation of the Flow Switch.
However, there's no indication that the flow switch they use is any better or more robust than the ones used in other brands that are probably from the same generic manufacturer. Recommended practice here is to have a second means of safety.

I installed a Calimar SWCG (generic that looks suspiciously similar to the Circupool Universal, Hayward Aquarite, and others), and have an IntelliFlo pump with internal timer. So I wired the SWCG for 120V and plugged it into a cheap WiFi timer (WiOn/Ecoplugs but I'm switching things to TP-Link Kasa). I set the SWCG to run well within the pump times -- not perfect because power outages put the pump clock way off (despite claims that it should keep time), while the WiFi switch always has the right time. But I'm comfortable with that risk given the flow switch as backup. And as a bonus, I can adjust the run time remotely as needed (I leave the SWCG at 100% and use the timer to control)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.