Knoxville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
I know this might be a “ford vs chevy” type question, but after going through bottle after bottle of liquid chlorine, I’ve got to admit switching to salt sounds pretty appealing, but I know nothing about them.

Any kind of guide available with comparisons, things to look for, etc I can read through to get some idea of what equipment would be best?

Thanks, that does help. If I follow the .5lb per 10k gallons rule, that’s 1.5lb and narrows the choices a bunch.

TFP recommends you size swg for a pool 2x your size. This gives you more flexibility for run-time and generally a much better cost/lb Chlorine production.

TFP recommends you size swg for a pool 2x your size. This gives you more flexibility for run-time and generally a much better cost/lb Chlorine production.

is the 2X in gallons or 2x the chlorine lbs/day requirement? My pool is ~27k and the article referenced above mentions using 0.35-0.5 lbs per 10k gallons. So that would be sized to either 60k gallons or capable of producing at least 1.5lbs per day. Sound right? There were only a few systems capable of that on the list above but I also found a fee if them were not so current. Maybe choosing a few big brands and seeing what they have to offer with those requirements would be a good start?

I think you'll find that is the sizing. When they say double, it is double the pool manufacturers recommendation. My pool is 25,000 gallons, but I have a SWG for a "40,000" gallon pool. Of course, I think some of this will depend on the location. Arizona is extreme! In AZ, I think I would go for something that produces 2.0 lbs/day. My "40K" cell will produce about 1.47/day.

I think it is also about $/life. On Amazon, the 15K replacement cell is $389 while the 40K is $489. And the 40K cell will produce almost 3 times as more chlorine in its life.

B,

For a 27K pool you need a 60K SWCG...

With a 40K cell you will have to run your pump for about 12 hours a day with the cell at 100% output to generate 3 ppm of FC..

With a 60K cell you only need to run for 8 hours at 100% for the same 3 ppm of FC..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a 28K pool and a Edge 40 that works great but I do run my pump at low speed 24x7 and live in the Atlanta area. Edge is at 1/3 power and FC stays around 7

thats good to know. I also run my pump 24x7 at low speed and its scheduled to bump up to mid speed for 8 hours during the day time and slower at night. So sounds like the only downside to a bigger system is higher initial cost? But over the long term it’s a better ROI?

I like the Edge because it's "on" all the time and your changing the output strength where most run wide open and turn off for a set number of minutes in a time window..Mine is new so I can't speak on if that's better or not long term

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The edge RJ60 looks like it might work, has decent reviews and is on sale. Will be digging into more info in the next couple days. Thanks!

Just ordered a Circupool RJ-60+. Seemed like a good time to clean up some of the plumbing and get it working and have enough time to figure out while using the pool before we have to shut it down in winter.

Just FYI... Would you ever consider an automation controller for your pool? Most of those systems are proprietary, and work best if your major components are all of the same brand, especially the SWG and the pump. If you never plan to have a controller, then this is a non-issue. Just be aware... the purchase of an SWG is an early-warning red flag that you're starting to get more interested in laying around your pool than taking care of it, so ya never know!! You've already got the robot... it's a slippery slope! ;)

Last edited:
Just FYI... Would you ever consider an automation controller for your pool? Most of those systems are proprietary, and work best if your major components are all of the same brand, especially the SWG and the pump. If you never plan to have a controller, than this is a non-issue. Just be aware... the purchase of an SWG is an early-warning red flag that you're starting to get more interested in laying around your pool than taking care of it, so ya never know!! You've already got the robot... it's a slippery slope! ;)

who knows, probably but I don’t want to admit it yet. I bought a Hayward tri-Chlor in-line dispenser at the beginning of summer cause I thought that would be easier than using them in the skimmers. Now it looks like I won’t need that.

You're on the right track. Pucks are the devil's pool candy! Have you been studying Pool School? Pucks (depending on which type) will end up increasing your CYA or CH beyond recommend levels, necessitating a water exchange in the future. Does your kit contain a test for CYA? Have you tested for CYA? That's important to know for best results from your SWG.

Also, when you install the SWG, don't turn it on right after you dump in the salt. You have to let the salt mix in really well before you power up. At least a day, but I would wait several days (depending on how much your pump is circulating). Do you have a salt test kit? If not, you'll need one. You could start adding salt now, but you have to know how much salt is already in your water so you don't overshoot, which you very likely will if you just dump in salt without knowing, because your pool probably already has a lot of salt in it.

I bought a Hayward tri-Chlor in-line dispenser at the beginning of summer cause I thought that would be easier than using them in the skimmers. Now it looks like I won’t need that.
Not necessarily. How cold does your pool get in the winter? Most SWGs don't work below about 50° or so (water temp, not air temp). By the end of summer, you will have burned off some of your CYA, which means you could throw in a few tabs in the ol' Hayward to keep the chlorine up for that week or two away at Grandma's and restore the missing CYA at the same time. That's assuming you have enough room in your plumbing to accommodate both gizmos.

Best solution for year round with minimal work is swg for the summer and in line tab chlorinator for the winter. Pool Maintenance is almost effortless!
I didn't have room for both, and tabs ruined my pool before I found TFP, but I do sort'a wish I could use them for a bit in the winter. Once you get spoiled by an SWG, buying and lugging and dosing with jugs of chlorine, in the cold no less, is not all that fun.

Bperry, chlorine use drops waaaay down in the winter, so whether it's tabs or liquid, it's not as bad as it would be mid-summer. I probably have to add chlorine only a dozen times, only during the coldest months.

Last edited:
Ok, that’s good to know the chlorinator is not a total loss. Would I plumb the dispenser before or after the SWG?

water temp in the winter can get down into the 40’s at the coldest. We probably will close it dec-March but it’s probably in the 50’s come November.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.