SWCG performance

danman

Sep 5, 2016
Spring, Tx
Afternoon all,
Have a general question on my SWCG. my pool is about 11 years old now, and we are not the original owners. I have had problems with my tri-flow sensor and backboard, both of which I have replaced. Secondly, I have checked the cell regularly in the last year that we have been here and I see no visible scaling or whatever you call it. My question is, I am running my pump 10hrs a day now, with the cell at 70% and my chlorine level stays at 1.6 - 1.8. I think that's ok... but as this is my first summer with it, I figured the FC level would be higher. I have the talyor k-2006 and it's test shows I have no CC. Do you guys think that performance is adequate?

Afternoon all,
Have a general question on my SWCG. my pool is about 11 years old now, and we are not the original owners. I have had problems with my tri-flow sensor and backboard, both of which I have replaced. Secondly, I have checked the cell regularly in the last year that we have been here and I see no visible scaling or whatever you call it. My question is, I am running my pump 10hrs a day now, with the cell at 70% and my chlorine level stays at 1.6 - 1.8. I think that's ok... but as this is my first summer with it, I figured the FC level would be higher. I have the talyor k-2006 and it's test shows I have no CC. Do you guys think that performance is adequate?

Before anyone makes a "guesstimate" about your pool, please post a complete set of test results. I will say if you are following the TFP recommended values for an SWG pool, your FC minimum should be nearer to 3 ppm. Additionally, how old are your K-2006 reagents and were they stored properly?

I bought my Taylor about 6 months ago and they have always been stored inside, in my desk. I am waiting on my CYA reagent refills, long story there. But yes I'll post a full set of results when it gets here in a couple days. My test from last week was the following.

FC 1.6
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 160
CYA 60
Salt 3100

From your test results your CSI is -.38 at a pool temp of 84. A bit low for a Pebble Tec pool. Might want to address your CH (raise it to 300ish) as well as your FC. I would personally have my target FC at 6 with a CYA of 60.

Take care.

From your test results your CSI is -.38 at a pool temp of 84. A bit low for a Pebble Tec pool. Might want to address your CH (raise it to 300ish) as well as your FC. I would personally have my target FC at 6 with a CYA of 60.

Take care.

Ok, I'm confused.. my calcium hardness should be around 300? I thought that 150 was to high... And I thought a FC level of 3ppm was high?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most important is your FC is low for your CYA. The CYA could go up a bit to better protect the FC. Your CH is pretty low for a pebble pool, so that could potentially be pulling calcium or of your pool surface.

sorry for the month delay. Kids summer camps, and all that have kept me from responding. to recap after all the talk I found my CYA was a bit low for my Salt pool so I raised it and listed the results below. I'm working on my CH right now. current results as of today

water temp(according to Jandy PDA): 89
FC: 2.0
PH: 7.6
TA: 70
CH:200
CYA: 80
Salt: 3000
CSI: -0.47/-0.41

So a couple things I'm chasing.I'm also using the app PoolPal. It has TFP recommendations listed in it, which is what I'm trying to follow.

1. FC :: After I took a couple days and raised my CYA, I did notice my FC go up, and it went up to about 2.5. But even running my pump 8am - 8pm it won't go any higher. If I do the formula listed about CYA x .8. My FC should be around 6.4. But my system will not get there. Not sure if this is the CYA level, or my system not performing at a 100%. The cell is set to run 70% of the time.
2. CH :: I'm working on this one, I should have it up to about 350 by Wednesday. I'm taking it slow, b/c my buddy decided it add everything at once for CYA and he has drained his pool 1/2 way 3 times now :eek:
3. PH:: My pool seems to be a Muratic Acid junkie, I can add Acid and get it down to 7.2 and then check it a couple to a few days later and it's up to 7.6 or so. I've watched this for the year we have owned this pool. Could there be something else causing this? I thought it would be a weekly thing? Or am I just being to anal about this level?
4. TA :: Not sure why this dropped. going to re-test today.

Thank all of you for your advice.

You need to get your FC up or you will have an algae bloom.

Use bleach to get it to 8. If you only want to run your pump 12 hours per day you need to change your cell to 100%. It is rated to produce 1.25 lb chlorine gas per 24 hour period. You have it on 12 hours at 70% or effectively 8 hours per day. Not enough FC creation per day.

Your TA is dropping because of the MA adds with your rising pH.

Good luck.

I would raise the cell to 100%. That will put your proper chlorine production during the daylight hours.

MA is muriatic acid -- sorry for the abbreviation.

Take care.

Also -- where is Spring?

OK, made that adjustment on the cell. Spring, is a community about 35 miles north of Houston Tx.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to make a run for MA. But I think I'm going to start working on my CH and add my MA later this evening. I'll post a new results tomorrow.

OK, made that adjustment on the cell. Spring, is a community about 35 miles north of Houston Tx.

Thanks. Can you add Texas to your Location?

Also - be sure to add enough bleach to the pool to get to 8 FC. Your SWCG is designed to maintain your FC, not increase it. Your cell is now generating a bit over 3 ppm FC per day for your pool size. That is right at your consumption rate I would suspect in S Texas.

Take care.

Dan,

The cell itself will take a very long time to get from 2 to 6 ppm of FC... You should add Liquid Chlorine/Plain Bleach to get the FC where you want to be and then let the cell take it from there.

In an 18K pool, you will need to add on jug (121oz.) of 8.25% bleach to increase your FC by 4.5 ppm...

Don't add Muriatic Acid until your pH goes above 7.8.. anything between 7.2 and 7.8 is good and most SWCG pools like to hang out at 7.8...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dan,

The cell itself will take a very long time to get from 2 to 6 ppm of FC... You should add Liquid Chlorine/Plain Bleach to get the FC where you want to be and then let the cell take it from there.

In an 18K pool, you will need to add on jug (121oz.) of 8.25% bleach to increase your FC by 4.5 ppm...

Don't add Muriatic Acid until your pH goes above 7.8.. anything between 7.2 and 7.8 is good and most SWCG pools like to hang out at 7.8...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I have spent a lot of time trying to keep it on the lower end i.e. 7.2 - 7.4. So this is good news for me. Yes I will pick up some liquid chlorine on my MA run this afternoon.

again thank you guys, I'm getting the hang of it. slowly, but getting there :)

Raising my CH today. According to the pool pal app/TFP recommendation inside the app, it called for 22lbs of Calcium chloride. I'm adding it in batches, just added 11lbs and will check the level in a few hours. Mainly b/c I'm paranoid. :p Will post results later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.